ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stained Glass-like filter with definable cells

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer EyceStained Glass-like filter with definable cells
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:49:49 am

Is there a filter for After Effects that does essentially what the Stained Glass Filter does in Photoshop but allows the user to define the shape of the cells? Or do you know of a technique to accomplish the same result? Basically I need to be able to define shapes that average the colors behind them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Stained Glass-like filter with definable cells
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:12:08 pm

Could you use a combination of Generate - Cells + Colorama? There are different patterns for cells, but for exactly generating them, I don't think you can exactly define the shapes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Stained Glass-like filter with definable cells
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:50:17 pm

So I'm not sure if this is the look you are going for, or if you actually want it to look like the photoshop stain glass effect. I went for trying to make it look like actual stain glass. I used edge finder to create my lines and inverted it to give me mostly black with some colored lines. I then removed its saturation and pulled its rgb curves up, giving me white lines on a black bg. I then added a clean layer of the picture removed the saturation and crushed my black and raised my highlights using curves. I then set the track matte of the second layer to luma matte and it gave me the black outlines of my objects with the rest of the space being alpha. You can also just use a black solid as your second layer, but I found that this gave me thinner lines. Lastly I added another clean layer of the picture on the bottom and gave it a box blur. I repeated my edges and I was done. I have uploaded the AE file if you want to play with it. Hope that helps.

<a href="http://f1.creativecow.net/5695/stained-glass-test">5695_stainedglass.zip</a>

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Stained Glass-like filter with definable cells
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 7:08:24 pm

sorry didn't post the file correctly.

5697_stainedglass.zip

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved