ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask tool always turned on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe GosselinMask tool always turned on
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:36:46 pm

Hi all,

Take a look at the screenshot. You can clearly see that the pointer tool is selected but the cursor stays in mask mode. Even pressing "V" doesn't change anything.

0_01.jpg

The cursor doesn't show in the screenshot but it looks like a "+" sign. The only thing I can do , whether a layer is selected or not, is to create this white rectangle box/mask which can't be removed afterwards. I've tried restarting AE, and create a brand new project, all to no vail.

Thanks for the input

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mask tool always turned on
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02:23 am

Try a delete Prefs routine - CTRL+ALT+SHIFT while AE starts up (leave the keys depressed until a dialog window prompts you if you'd like to delete the Prefs file.

BTW, Windows has a built-in, single-image screen recorder that records the cursor. Type "psr" in the Search Progs and Files text entry area and launch psr.exe

You screen actions will be captured into a Zip file containing an HTML file with embedded screen captures images. You can then use the regular Print Screen key on the embedded images.

More info here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-use-problem-steps-reco...

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Philippe GosselinRe: Mask tool always turned on
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:16:27 am

Hi,

I was able to delete the Prefs but once I open the project the problem remains.

I've actually started again from scratch, thank god I just started the to work on it.

Which begs the question, is there anything else I could do if that issue was to happen again?

Phil

ps, thanks for the Win7 tip

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mask tool always turned on
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:41:31 am

It seems like your currently selected tool is stuck in pen mode. For a quick fix, deselect the Mask/Shape Path Visibility button at the bottom of the Comp Panel.

For a long-term fix which may or may not work - try selecting another tool to see if this refreshes the 'sticky' nature of the Pen Tool.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

William ScholikRe: Mask tool always turned on
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:31:45 pm

It looks like you have the "region of interest" button toggled. You should be able to correct your problem by hitting it again. It is the button next to the resolution selector in the compviewer.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]