ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon DavidsonShould mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:07:55 pm

I am thinking of investing in HP's latest ENVY desktop and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them good or bad on if they work well with After Effects and Production Premium? It's on sale right now so I'm very tempted to get it, but I'm very reluctant because I'm used to working on macs and don't have any experience working with pc and after effects. I was wondering if this would be a good computer.

To be honest, I've been saving up for the latest iMac and I don't have enough money for it yet, but I see that I can get this computer for almost a thousand dollars cheaper right now with the sale going on (and I have enough money for it). I know an imac would be the better computer overall and more reliable, but if the HP Envy is reliable as well I would much rather get this computer and save the money. Any thoughts or contributions anyone might have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here are the specs of the computer: $1700
HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1440t Desktop PC
Windows 8 Pro 64
3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K quad-core processor [3.5GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
Liquid Cooling Solution
2GB Nvidia GTX680 [Dual Bracket; DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]
16GB DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
2TB 7200RPM SATA RAID 5 (3 x 1TB HDD)
Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner
15-in-1 memory card reader, 4 x USB 2.0 (front), 2 x USB 3.0 (top)
Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
HP USB keyboard and optical mouse with volume control
Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R)(1x1)

27-inch iMac: $2900
Remove Save
Part number: Z0MS
Available to ship: 5-7 business days
Hardware
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:28:15 pm

We do everything that we can to make using After Effects as much the same as possible on Mac OS and Windows, and I use both every day. I'd say that you should make the choice based on the performance that you can get for your money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:11:01 am

Hi ----------------

-- mac have s nicer OS but its largely controlled by Apple in a monopoly environment which has disadvantages.

PC has security issues and you need to get used to loads of dopey emails and how to deal with all the rubbish that gets aimed at you - but no problem as soon as you get used to it....

..... think PC based stuff has more options because of larger user base such as freeware and sparks .....

---- came off Autodesk stuff on Linux and went for a PC myself ....

..... a mate of mine who comes from a mac based print environment started doing Maya stuff had needed new kit -- went for a PC having just spent about 2 grand upgrading his mac software ... said he wished he had done it before...

..... on balance I reckon PC if you are short on dosh and suspect you will never look back...

.......though loads of people swear by their macs .....

----------------- good luck ----- chris

===========================================================

Return to posts index

Brandon DavidsonRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:57:22 pm

Thanks for the input. That was one of my concerns with the PC was that I was going to have to deal with a lot more bloatware and viruses than you usually have to deal with on a mac. I'm encouraged to hear a mac user switched over and liked the experience. Money is a big issue for me and that by far is the biggest draw for me to switch to a pc...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:17:46 am

[Brandon Davidson] "That was one of my concerns with the PC was that I was going to have to deal with a lot more bloatware and viruses than you usually have to deal with on a mac."

There's no shovelware on the HP workstation line -- not sure about the ENVYs.

In general, it seems that consumer-grade PCs come pre-installed with a whole lot of software you don't need. I do recommend uninstalling the pre-installed apps you don't use, especially if they run automatically at startup.

Whichever way you go, good luck with your new system!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brandon DavidsonRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:52:15 pm

That is good to know. Thanks for the input.

I currently own CS5.5 Production Premium for the mac. Is it true that if I purchase the upgrade to CS6 I can crossgrade to the pc or does that cost extra (or is it even possible to crossgrade)? Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:03:47 pm

> Is it true that if I purchase the upgrade to CS6 I can crossgrade to the pc or does that cost extra (or is it even possible to crossgrade)?

There are two ways to license CS6 software: perpetual license and Creative Cloud Membership subscription. The former is for one operating system; the latter is for any operating system. So, if you have a Creative Cloud license, you can install the software on any operating system. If you buy the perpetual license, it's just for one operating system. When you upgrade, you don't need to buy a perpetual license for the same OS that you were using before; you can buy one for another OS.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:17:01 pm

"When you upgrade, you don't need to buy a perpetual license for the same OS that you were using before; you can buy one for another OS."
-------------

Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, if I purchase the PC perpetual license CS6 UPGRADE, I would just need to punch in the product code for my mac CS5.5 version, and it would update (or would the pc software look for the CS5.5 and say I can't install it because it's not on the pc computer)?

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:31:09 am

[Brandon Davidson] "HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1440t Desktop PC"

I haven't worked with Envy desktops but they look like a good buy, especially that they come with a 2-year warranty. Not sure if that 3-drive RAID5 is a good idea - but then again, I haven't worked with it.

How's HP's return policy on these systems? Perhaps you could get one, test the heck out of it and see if you're happy?

If you end up getting one, please share your findings - I am very curious how it holds up.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:26:09 pm

If you are used to mac, don't be tempted by the PC side. On my recommendation, our studio invested in a fancy Pro-Max One about a year ago because of no new mac pros and we have had no end of trouble with it. Its nice and fast when it works, but it has had a number of problems, has been much harder to maintain, and has been a general pain in my ass. Some of this might have been a fault of the hardware, not the software but I really hate windows. I consider it a failed experiment and will go back to macs next time. I really hope rumors are true and Apple comes out with a new mac pro this spring.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:10:31 pm

[Matthew Woods] "If you are used to mac, don't be tempted by the PC side. On my recommendation, our studio invested in a fancy Pro-Max One about a year ago because of no new mac pros and we have had no end of trouble with it... I consider it a failed experiment and will go back to macs next time."

To provide a little counterpoint, I started adding PCs to my little Mac-based studio for full-time creative work a year and a half ago when I got a Z800 from HP to evaluate in cross-platform workflows.

I've had a really positive experience. It took a little bit of getting used to (pinky for Control key versus thumb for Command key on most keyboard shortcuts), but I can now bounce back and forth between my Macs and PCs at will. I regularly work on a PC in the office, move my project over to my MacBook Pro laptop, and resume work on the same project on the road or at home. Cross-platform compatibility with Adobe and Maxon products has been right-on. With Adobe's Creative Cloud, you can even use the same single-user license on one Mac and one PC.

I had prejudices against PCs based on my experiences with Windows XP. Windows 7 has been way, way better than Windows XP. In my experience, it "just works" to the same degree my Macs do, and it's just as stable and just as secure.

I really like the extra power available on PCs, the additional performance choices, the superior graphics performance, and the additional workflow options. I have since bought another HP Z620 workstation, two 15" HP EliteBook mobile workstations, and four little HP 8800 Elite SFF computers as render nodes. I'm happy with all the purchases.

PCs and Macs are both complex systems, and you'll eventually have some kind of problem with either one -- as I like to say, computer trouble is cross-platform. I think a lot of Mac users switching to PCs forget about all the Mac voodoo they've already internalized: clearing boot caches, trashing preferences, resetting NVRAM, repairing permissions... PCs may have some voodoo, too, and if you do run into an issue, the answer is probably just a Creative Cow post or Google search away.

That said, I haven't had to tweak my PC BIOS settings. I haven't had a security problem. I did have to change a registry entry once in the last year and a half; I consider that comparable to any of the Mac OS X chores I've done over the years that required Google and Terminal.

I don't mean to argue with Matt or question his judgment. I've read his excellent posts here, and he's clearly a really smart guy. He tried a PC and didn't like it, and he's offering a valid perspective. I only mean to offer my own anecdotal perspective, which differs from his, for consideration, too.

TL;DR -- in my experience, the PC platform is viable for daily production use. Follow the same sensible practices with PCs that you would with Macs: buy only quality hardware from top-tier manufacturers with good support, and clone your boot drive once you've got everything set and configured.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:13:08 pm

Thanks Walter,

I will admit, my response was a little knee-jerk. To be fair, I am not the primary user of the PC. I probably know more about PCs and PC troubleshooting than most PC users. I regularly set up museum installations on them, but I have never used one every day. Our editor who is the primary user and has gotten used to it and likes it. I am just the best at troubleshooting computers in our small studio so it usually comes to me to get it working again when something goes wrong, and things seem to go wrong with it more often than the macs in the office.

Also, I think some of our problems might be due to the manufacturer. We decided to go with a Pro-Max for our first PC under the assumption that they were designed specifically for video editing so we would have less problems. We have had a number of hardware problems with the machine as well as software, and I suspect some of it may be due to the machine not having enough internal ventilation.

We have had a lot of problems with the OS though, and strange sporadic problems with it refusing to connect to file share with the macs. (It works some days but not others. The support folks at pro-max never were able to figure that out).

At one point I believed that Adobe debugged their software better on Windows, and that the Windows side would be less buggy. In practice I haven't found that to be the case, at least with AE and Premiere. There are just as many adobe bugs on Windows as there are on macs.

My thinking would be if you are in the market for an iMac, and not a mac pro, the extra money is worth it. The new iMacs are supposed to be great machines. Maybe I would think different if I used a PC every day.

Good luck with whatever your decision.

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:21:46 pm

Regarding our work on Mac OS versus Windows:

After Effects was a Mac-only application for a long time. If you walk down the halls here, you see an overwhelming number of Macs.

I don't want to point the finger of blame, but I will say that Apple is much, much, much more willing to change frameworks, SDKs, operating system features, and other things that cause application makers like us to have to scramble to keep up. This leads to more churn on Mac OS and occasionally bugs that result from this.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:19:48 am

[Matthew Woods] "I will admit, my response was a little knee-jerk."

On the contrary, I think your response was totally fair -- a straight account of your experience, without any of the ignorance or inflammatory emotion that usually accompanies such discussions. Would that all platform wars were so civil! :)

[Matthew Woods] "We have had a lot of problems with the OS though, and strange sporadic problems with it refusing to connect to file share with the macs. (It works some days but not others. The support folks at pro-max never were able to figure that out)."

I ran into some file-sharing problems, too, but I blame Apple. On 10.6.8, file sharing worked perfectly all the time. I skipped 10.7 and went straight to 10.8 -- and file-sharing broke. Turns out that Apple dumped Samba [link] in favor of their own new SMB server with Lion, and it kind of doesn't work.

Now I use and recommend SMBUp [link] to get Samba running on 10.7/10.8 Macs. File-sharing works again.

[Matthew Woods] "My thinking would be if you are in the market for an iMac, and not a mac pro, the extra money is worth it. The new iMacs are supposed to be great machines. Maybe I would think different if I used a PC every day."

The iMac does look like a great machine. I like my machines with a bit more horsepower, so I'm holding out to see what the new Mac Pro looks like before I buy my next Mac. If it disappoints, I'll get an iMac.

It's not for everyone, but I'm really liking being cross-platform. Best of both worlds.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:40:40 pm

Hi Walter,

I was a little late reading this, but thanks for the recommendation of SMBUp. That looks like it will be very helpful.

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:33:27 pm

Walter Soyka: "To provide a little counterpoint, I started adding PCs to my little Mac-based studio for full-time creative work a year and a half ago when I got a Z800 from HP to evaluate in cross-platform workflows."
------
Thanks Walter. It is good to hear that you have experience with both macs and pcs and that the pc's have been a good experience for you as well. What makes me a little nervous is I'm not terribly knowledgeable on computers and so if I run into problems I need to turn to forums and such and they turn into big headaches (which isn't a big deal once in a while). I was wondering if the ENVY would give me lots of problems or if it would be reliable. It's good to know at least the HP workstations work well and hopefully that would translate into their ENVY desktop as well.

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 7:53:20 pm

I have a similar experience to Walter. After many years with a 2008 Mac Pro, when Apple dropped the bomb on FCP 7 I decided I had had enough of their BS.

I bought an HP Z820.When Im in the apps I cant really tell the difference between platforms. Except the PC has lots more power then the older Mac. :D

I still use the Mac Pro for email and Internet activities. PCs are still more vulnerable to malware and viruses. So I keep the PC off the web except for updates.

I am very happy in how this setup performs for me.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:04:05 am

[Tom Daigon] "I still use the Mac Pro for email and Internet activities. PCs are still more vulnerable to malware and viruses. So I keep the PC off the web except for updates."

Tom's level of paranoia here far exceeds my own -- and I normally consider myself pretty paranoid!

Unpatched Windows XP was terribly insecure, but Windows 7 has loads of security features that XP didn't have.

My Z800 has been running connected to the Internet 24/7 since October 2011. I use it for email and web access while I'm working all the time. I haven't had any malware or virus problems.

I left the default firewall on, and I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. That's all I've needed to connect with confidence.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:39:03 am

Walter, I think "careful" is a more appropriate word :D

There is the need to constantly update the virus definitions on the PC.
That is not necessary on the Mac as of now.

Keeping the firewall up can interfere with the operation of some apps.
This is not an issue on the Mac.

On the PC you must be careful about opening email lest you release a worm.
You can open any email on the Mac .

I choose not to expose my PC to any more risk then necessary. :P

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 2:33:38 am

[Tom Daigon] "Walter, I think "careful" is a more appropriate word :D"

Ha! You say potato... :)

[Tom Daigon] "There is the need to constantly update the virus definitions on the PC. That is not necessary on the Mac as of now."

Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates.

Don't visit shady web sites. Don't install programs unless you know they're legit.

This applies to both platforms. Mac security is a very comfortable myth. Last year saw 700,000 Mac infections via FlashBack [link].

[Tom Daigon] "Keeping the firewall up can interfere with the operation of some apps. This is not an issue on the Mac."

When Windows Firewall blocks an application for the first time, it pops up a little dialog box that says something along the lines of "Application XXX is attempting to access the Internet" and then gives you the option of blocking or unblocking it. You can also configure application-specific firewall settings in Control Panel.

There is no reason to disable the firewall entirely.

[Tom Daigon] "On the PC you must be careful about opening email lest you release a worm. You can open any email on the Mac "

Outlook used to execute JavaScript and VBScript code embedded in messages when they were selected and previewed in the preview pane, which was exploited by worms. It doesn't do that anymore -- script execution is now blocked by default.

Since I'm cross-platform and use a bunch of different computers, I prefer cloud-based email anyway. I'm using Google Apps for Business, and they've got some pretty killer spam detection and virus scanning built-in.

I'm not saying the internet is not a scary place, or that any OS has perfect security, but I don't feel it's practical or necessary to keep your computer locked in a lead-lined room, either. Taking just a few basic precautions -- and having a good backup strategy, just in case -- is probably acceptable to most users.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 2:43:32 am

Yes all that sounds well and good, but I have learned many years ago not to assume anything ;-)

You folks heard Walters stance on this. If you get worms/trojan horses/malware, you know where to lodge your complaints :D

Im keeping my baby off the grid. And will enjoy my Mac Pros ability
to forage undaunted into email and the Web :D

See you at NAB, Walter.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:11:23 am

[Tom Daigon] "Im keeping my baby off the grid. And will enjoy my Mac Pros ability to forage undaunted into email and the Web :D"

I totally understand the argument for keeping production machines off the public internet -- it turns a small risk into practically no risk.

But you might want to unplug your Mac Pro, too. While we were debating this yesterday, a brand new piece of Mac malware was discovered: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/ad-injecting-trojan-targets-mac-users-...

And check this graphic out:
(Full article here: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/12/04/sophos-declares-2012-the-year-of-a...

I don't intend to come across as argumentative, but I don't see this as a black-and-white issue where Macs are inherently secure and Windows PCs are inherently not.

Since it's not realistic for everyone to leave their machines offline, someone new to the Windows platform should know the basic precautions they should take to minimize their risks: leave the firewall on (allow access to your apps as needed), leave UAC on (default settings), install some anti-malware software (like the free Microsoft Security Essentials), clone your boot drive (I use Acronis True Image), and keep regular backups (hard disk, Blu-Ray, tape, cloud, whatever). Don't install software you don't know.

In other words, pretty much all the same stuff you'd do on a Mac.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:19:08 pm

You most certainly are being argumentative :D :D

At this point, in my experience, all reports of Mac malware and viruses are theoretical at best. Usually propagated by PC folks who hate to hear how easy it is to use Mac without the need of installing anti virus or anti malware programs.

I do agree with your final paragraph. Its wise to know ways to protect yourself when embarking on the purchase of a PC. Even more so then a Mac for the moment.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:11:08 pm

[Tom Daigon] "At this point, in my experience, all reports of Mac malware and viruses are theoretical at best."

Word. The hundreds of thousands of infected Mac users can now relax about the dangers that Sophos and Kaspersky were touting. Word.

[Tom Daigon] "Usually propagated by PC folks who hate to hear how easy it is to use Mac without the need of installing anti virus or anti malware programs."

Among those - Kaspersky, Sophos, McAfee, other security researchers. Oh, and Apple, too. Weird! :)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:49:54 pm

Jive talk to your hearts content Alex. :D

As I said, "in my experience" (which includes thousands of folks thru the Adobe and Cow forums) this has not been an issue that in any way, shape or manner approaches the PCs vulnerability. This may change in the future.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:59:24 pm

[Tom Daigon] "As I said, "in my experience" (which includes thousands of folks thru the Adobe and Cow forums) this has not been an issue that in any way, shape or manner approaches the PCs vulnerability. This may change in the future."

So is it "my experience" or the "thousands of folks thru the Adobe and Cow forums"?

And if the latter - are those informal impressions, the "gut feeling" or a thorough count weighted against market share?

I second Walter on that the systems I manage (starting from MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 and a number of other OSs some thirty years ago) never had infections. That was my day job, and those systems were always online. So based on "my experience", should I say Windows systems are impregnable to malware?

C'mon Tom, I don't mean to get any deeper into this weird debate, but don't you think folks whose job is security (like Sophos), know a little better than you and me?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:07:42 pm

This dialog is a waste of both our time. Go find someone else to argue with.Time to move on.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:20:45 pm

Mathew Woods: "On my recommendation, our studio invested in a fancy Pro-Max One about a year ago because of no new mac pros and we have had no end of trouble with it. Its nice and fast when it works, but it has had a number of problems, has been much harder to maintain"
----------

That is my biggest concern by far on switching to a PC. I've had problems with my macs before and I expect to have problems with a PC as well, but if it's going to be a constant hassle of problems I definitely do not want to switch. I was hoping someone might have had a chance to work with ENVY desktops in the past to see if this would be the case or not. Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:12:56 pm

"I haven't worked with Envy desktops but they look like a good buy, especially that they come with a 2-year warranty. Not sure if that 3-drive RAID5 is a good idea - but then again, I haven't worked with it.

How's HP's return policy on these systems? Perhaps you could get one, test the heck out of it and see if you're happy?

If you end up getting one, please share your findings - I am very curious how it holds up.

Alex Gerulaitis"
-----------

Thanks for the comment. If I get the computer I will let you know how my experience goes with it. On the 3 drive raid 5, I'm not very familiar with hard drives and how they work except that a raid is supposed to be redundant to help not lose data. Is there a different setup you might recommend? No worries if you're not sure, but I just thought I might ask...

They offer the following choices for the ENVY desktop:
2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
2TB 7200rpm SATA RAID 0 (2 x 1TB HDD) +$50.00
2TB 7200RPM SATA RAID 5 (3 x 1TB HDD) +$50.00
2TB 7200 rpm SATA 1st hard drive plus ExpressCache HP 16GB Disk Cache SSD +$100.00
3TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive +$100.00
2TB 7200rpm SATA RAID 1 (2 x 2TB HDD) +$100.00
3TB 7200 rpm SATA 1st hard drive plus ExpressCache HP 16GB Disk Cache SSD +$200.00
256GB Solid state drive +$200.00
4TB 7200RPM SATA RAID 5 (3 x 2TB HDD) +$300

Are they all kind of sixes in terms of speed? and just different sizes. Will the solid state drive work the fastest (but only 256GB be a little hindering)? Sorry I don't mean to ask a million questions and expect all the answers, but if you have any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:22:03 pm

Upgrade installations don't look for other software on your computer to determine if the upgrade is valid. Upgrades are all about a pricing discount at the time of purchase.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Tylor LarsonRe: Should mac user crossover to HP Envy desktop for After Effects and Production premium?
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:37:52 pm

one more thing to think about... if you are looking at HP,... look at BOXX, i have one at home and i love it... I have windows 7 64 bit installed on it... staying away from 8 until Microsoft gets there act together. it works great.. i work on Macs all day long and then come home to a PC which does get confusing. personally if i had to pick between Boxx and HP... BOXX all the way... look up some drag races between boxx and HD.... you might be shocked.

basically, i would choose the path of these resistance. if you are faster on mac, stay there... putting a different OS in the mix can gets confusing... i have learned to deal with it... again just my two cents..

Ty

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 3:42:22 pm

I truly appreciate everyone's input and comments and I feel much more informed about choosing my next computer. I'm still not sure where I'm leaning but I feel much more open to giving PC a try if I'm willing to deal with a new OS and workflow. Thanks again for everyone's time and effort in helping me out!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:52:06 pm

[Brandon Davidson] "On the 3 drive raid 5, I'm not very familiar with hard drives and how they work except that a raid is supposed to be redundant to help not lose data. Is there a different setup you might recommend?"

One of the most popular configuration for After Effects consists of two volumes:
- (1) an SSD for OS and apps, with a folder dedicated to After Effects CS6 Global Performance Cache
- (2) a media volume (single drive, RAID0, 1 or 5) for, well, media.

A 3-drive RAID5 may be OK but isn't optimal - in terms of both performance and usable capacity. RAID5 setups usually start at 4 drives. I'd look into RAID1 for redundancy or RAID0 for performance if regular backups to external drives are a possibility.

I haven't yet researched those Envy desktops yet - but from the many years working with HP servers and workstations, I know they don't offer all possible (and sometimes necessary) configurations so you just have to get what you can, and then add the necessary items yourself. My business is basically built on the fact that HP, being the enterprise behemoth they are, just aren't flexible enough to offer the right configurations for video editing.

HP Envy Phoenix desktops seem to have three drive and two optical bays limiting your storage configuration. The easiest option is then to choose a 256GB SSD as the primary drive, and two 3TB drives configured either in RAID1 or RAID0.

If you're up to a little tinkering, you could install one more drive into the available optical bay.

Hope this helps.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:42:49 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "One of the most popular configuration for After Effects consists of two volumes:
- (1) an SSD for OS and apps, with a folder dedicated to After Effects CS6 Global Performance Cache
- (2) a media volume (single drive, RAID0, 1 or 5) for, well, media."

I really appreciate the feedback. That helped immensely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]