ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is my AJA Kona LHi Necessary?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Callahan
Is my AJA Kona LHi Necessary?
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:49:30 am

Hello and thank you for your time! I'll make this quick...

My Question:
Do I even need the Kona LHi? Is it helping with the speed of playback at all? Or is playback on the third "desktop" monitor just as good / just as fast?

My System:
12-Core Mac Pro
24GB RAM
AJA Kona LHi
3 Displays (2x 20" Cinema Displays, 1 Panasonic LCD)
Hooked up BOTH for 3 desktop monitors (1 x DVI, 2 x Mini Displayport - Dual Link DVI), and for output to the Panasonic through the AJA.

Thank you for your time!
Ben

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is my AJA Kona LHi Necessary?
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:02:39 pm

You might see some latency when previewing, but since we don't know what else you do with your system, it's tough to give you a straight answer.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:30:27 pm

When playing back HD material via a graphics card in CS6, I observed tearing and fuzziness in the picture even when set to full resolution playback. That fuzziness and tearing wasn't there when the same video was played back via a BMD card. So it seems to me that monitoring via a graphics card isn't quite the true video you could get out of a dedicated video I/O card. Or was it just me?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Ben Callahan
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:56:14 pm

Hey Dave,

Thank you very much for your help. My system right now will ONLY be used for AE. So I'm not sure that the LHi is doing me any more than my standard "third display" set up can do.

Does the LHi take any of the load off of the graphics card? Should it in theory be able to play smoother because it is a dedicated video card?

Thanks,
Ben

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:43:15 pm

> Does the LHi take any of the load off of the graphics card?

No. They do different things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Ben Callahan
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:47:13 pm

Thank you, Todd. So then I should be able to RAM Preview at full speed through my third display, just as well as it does through the LHi if not better?

Do you believe that the LHi is not necessary for my RAM Previews? I just want to be able to playback as smooth as possible. And if the LHi helps that, then I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll get rid of it and stick to my third desktop display for Full Screen playback.

Ben

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:56:14 pm

I'm making no comment about the value the AJA device. Others can do that. I was just confirming that the GPU and the AJA device do different things, so having an AJA device doesn't---for example---relieve your GPU so that it can do more acceleration of computation for the ray-traced 3D renderer.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:08:56 am

Todd,

Would you be willing to pinpoint scenarios where a dedicated video I/O card would be preferable to a graphics card / CS output, for monitoring purposes?

The video quality difference that I saw (and mentioned above), is it something inherent to the graphics card output? Or was it just a fluke in my testing?

Thanks.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Ben Callahan
on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:44:07 pm

Hey Alex,

Might have gotten our answer!

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/879818#879820

Let me know if that answers it for you. But I think that covers it for me... I think this would indicate that your scenario was a "fluke".

Ben

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:54:54 pm

To be honest, it doesn't do it for me. I'd love to hear more of a "broadcast engineer" perspective on it, and was hoping to hear from Todd, as I am sure he has a thing or two to say about it, but may be bound by Adobe's partnerships.

For one, desktop monitoring doesn't lock in the frame rate. If your video is 24fps, can you be sure it's shown as such on the desktop? If not, how is it "broadcast quality"? Can you be sure the video is not scaled and is true pixel-to-pixel? ... and so on...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:04:28 pm

It's more the other direction: I don't want to appear to favor one hardware maker over another.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ben Callahan
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:15:24 pm

Thank you for your response, Todd. Understood about your curbed responses ;)

Can you then answer this:
- Should CS6 be able to playback a desired framerate smoothly on a third desktop monitor without the addition of a third party I/O card?

- Additionally, Alex had a question about the broadcast quality of frame rate and scaled image. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks very much for your time and input in this conversation.
Ben

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:57:41 pm

Did I miss it or did you not specify your graphics card?

For CS6 anything video, get a NVIDIA card from macvidcards and do the hacks to get AE, etc to recognize the card. I have a 570 with 2.5 GB on the card. My 2009 Mac Pro (24gb ram) does things faster than it should:-)

Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:13:40 pm

If you don't intend to preview through a broadcast video monitor, I see little use for the card.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]