ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ref: Aharon Rabinowitz Magnifying Glass in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim GharibRef: Aharon Rabinowitz Magnifying Glass in After Effects
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:46:47 pm

The tutorials is very nice and easy to follow but I was wondering how can one make the magnifying glass read through to another image below the first image? Sort of like looking at the image below the fist under the glass while the rest of the first image stays.
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Rob BellonRe: Ref: Aharon Rabinowitz Magnifying Glass in After Effects
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 9:09:00 pm

You could use the Bulge effect.

1) Create an adjustment layer with the bulge effect on it
2) Line up the adjustment layer with the 'lens' of your magnifying glass, and adjust the parameters of the effect to get the look you want
3) Parent the adjustment layer to the magnifying glass
4) Animate the position of the magnifying glass

Make sure the adjustment layer and the layer with your magnifying glass are above the layers you want to be magnified.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it works.

Cheers!
-Rob

Return to posts index

Jim GharibRe: Ref: Aharon Rabinowitz Magnifying Glass in After Effects
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 9:48:22 pm

Thank you for your response but I need to get something clear. Do you mean to create a new adjustment layer for the second image? And would the bulge layer punch through to the second image? How would the bulge layer see through to the second image?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:20:19 pm

It depends, do you have 2 images (one normal, one magnified)? My suggestion about the bulge effect was if you're only using one image. In that case, you'd have your normal image, and the 'magnified look' would only be where the bulge effect is.

However, if you have two images, you can disregard my comment about the bulge effect. You could do something like this:

1) In your timeline, make sure your normal image is on top, magnified image below;
2) Make a circle (shape layer, or solid with a circular mask), which you will use as your track matte. It should be the same size as your lens, and it should line up with it as neatly as possible.
3) Parent the circle to the magnifying glass layer;
4) In your timeline, make sure the circle is just one above the normal (unmagnified) image in the layer order. Set the Track Matte of the image so that the circle punches through it. (Alpha Inverted Matte, I believe.)
5) At this point, you should be able to see through to your bottom (magnified) layer. Animate the magnifying glass.

Note: Make sure your magnifying glass has transparent center. If it doesn't, you can create a circular mask where the lens is, then set it to 'subtract.'

Hope that helps. I should mention — I haven't seen the original tutorial you're talking about. So if what I'm saying doesn't relate to what you're working on, post the link to the tutorial. I'll watch it and hopefully better understand your situation.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11:43 am

Here is the link to the tutorial:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/CC_Magnify.php
I am using this tut but I have two images one on top of the other, neither one is magnified. What I am trying to do is for the magnifying glass to see through to the second image below the first one so when you animate the magnifying glass, all you see is that portion of the second image like the magnifying glass has x-ray and can see through the first image into the second image.
I believe after you see the tut you may have a different solution, I hope!
Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:11:23 pm

Thanks, I just watched the tut.

It sounds like you want to use a track matte. Did you try the second method I wrote, using a circle and the alpha inverted matte? I think that's what you want to do. If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll try to make you a tutorial real quick to show you how to do it.

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59:42 am

I used a circle mask with subtract, not add, with a magnifying fx and that works. I guess that's what you mean by a track mat. The only thing is how do I make sure the fx and the mask animate in the x direction so maybe a tut would be very nice.
Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2013 at 12:16:33 am

Hey Jim, sorry for the delay.

I hope it's not too late, but I made the tutorial, and I think it will help. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help!

Here's the link: http://www.robbellon.com/2013/03/22/01-track-matte/

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:07:54 pm

Thanks, that works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]