ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d camera track issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom edwards3d camera track issue
by on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:20:27 pm

i'm using ae cs6 and am getting some strange behaviour when i attempt to insert text.
i'm placing the target and right clicking.
but the text box appears way off screen -- and i mean way off screen.
i tried it with a few different pieces of footage and this occurs every time. image attached.
ideas?
tks
tom

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: 3d camera track issue
by on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:04:12 pm

Convert your text to point text (if it isn't already) and set its anchor point property to [0,0].

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

tom edwardsRe: 3d camera track issue
by on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:23:40 pm

the anchor point is set to zero.
when i right click on the 3d cam track target, it automatically inserts the word "text." so i'm not sure what you mean by "set it to point text."
anchor point is zero.
oddly, when i right click the target and insert a solid, the solid is spot on the anchor point.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:34:52 pm

[tom edwards] "when i right click on the 3d cam track target, it automatically inserts the word "text." so i'm not sure what you mean by "set it to point text.""

There are 2 different modes for text layers, Point Text and Paragraph Text. You can switch between these two modes by right clicking on the text in the viewer with the text tool and choosing "Convert to [Paragraph/Point] Text" in the context menu.

With Paragraph Text the anchor point's default location can be arbitrary relative to the bounding box of the paragraph. That could be one reason that your text is off screen. Changing the text layer to point text may solve this.

As I think about this, the more likely culprits may be your text layer's parameters in the Character and Paragraph panels. Make sure that the baseline shift property is set to 0 in the Character panel and the indent properties in the Paragraph panel are all set to 0. One quick way to do this would be to use "Reset Character" and "Reset Paragraph" in the options drop downs of the panels.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:56:00 pm

tried converting but nothing changed.
checked par and character. nothing unusual.
what i did discover was the scale property of the text was like 3200.
i adjusted down to 100% but it was barely visible.
however, i notice noe when i add a text layer via 3d tracker, it is bumping up the scale property to 1200.
not sure how to get it to add the text layer at 100% though.
when i add a simple text later, it comes in at 100%.
just not using the 3d cam tracker.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3d camera track issue
by on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:03:54 pm

The large scaling you see is an automated thingy that the 3D Camera Tracker does - it's supposed to be a user-friendly, automated way of making your inserts visible.

Have you tried SHift+Parenting the Text Layer to the Solid - since the Solid Works as expected?

Howzabout taking a peek at the transform values of both layers to see if they're different. If they are different then you may want to try copying over the SOlid's values onto the Text Layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53:56 am

I can't reproduce your problem. If you can share a short test shot that is having this issue along with the AEP I might be able to give more specific advice.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Mike SmarttRe: 3d camera track issue
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:26:16 pm

Dealt with the exact same problem. I know how to fix when I track in Boujou and use NUKE but After Effects posed issues for me since it's really still 2.5D. It was a bit difficult to wrap my head around. Not sure if you're still having issues or are looking for a permanent solution but this literally solved my problems with this with a couple of clicks and it's only $19.

http://aescripts.com/orient-world/

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:48:57 am

first off -- i greatly appreciate all of the input. it feels good to know that helps is not far away (and that i'm not totally lame).

rick in the adobe forum replied:
"Don't worry about the scale. Text can be any scale. I'd set up your character palette using a very large font, center the paragraph settings, then adjust the baseline to move the visible anchor point of your text to the center. Now delete the text layer and try adding Text and Camera again from your track. BTW, the scale is dependant on the solution of your track. AE is making the best guess at camera position and movement."

he added a link to this tutorial http://youtu.be/5qSjPy0po2I

i've been tied up in a project and haven't tried any of the solutions (yet). but i will and reply further.
thanks again.
tom

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 6:42:23 am

[tom edwards] "center the paragraph settings, then adjust the baseline to move the visible anchor point of your text to the center."

This is what the "Reset Character" and "Reset Paragraph" options I mentioned earlier will do in addition to resetting other possible pitfall parameters. So if it didn't fix it earlier it probably won't fix it now :(

If you can share a sample problem after effects project we can probably figure it out. You don't even need to include the footage.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3d camera track issue
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:49:51 am

I doubt if it's a tracking issue. Like Darby says, it's an Anchor Point thingy cos it's nowhere to be seen in the image Tom provided in his first post.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]