ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crowd Scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Crowd Scene
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:54:27 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone know a way of creating a stadium crowd scene? I was thinking it may be able to be done with a particle system for speed? I was originally gonna attempt it with illustrator but thought this could be quite time consuming. I only have the basic particle systems that comes shipped with AE though, I do not have Particular.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Crowd Scene
on Mar 16, 2013 at 2:12:16 pm

You could do it with a Grid emitter in one of the particle systems, but I don't think that there's any variability as far as time goes, so everyone in the crowd would be doing the same thing at the same time. I may be wrong here...I just found a tutorial on it:

http://www.creatogether.com/timelapsed-crowd-simulation/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:09:08 pm

Thanks for the response Joe, appreciated.
Unfortunately none of the links worked from the site :(

Scott

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:31:44 pm

Check out the tutorial from Red Giant, Episode 25: Creating a Crowd Scene with Particular 2 and replace Particular with CC Particle World

I took the RedGiant tutorial and modified it using, Particle World(also left the particular version there too) and that should give you a pretty good starting point: 5655_25particlecrowdproject.zip

The real difference between the two is particular will react better to AE's 3D(lights and DOF) and that's hard to fake with Particle World. Download the trial version of Particular, to see the difference between the two.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:20:39 pm

Hey many thanks for the links John. Unfortunately the AE file wont work as must be a new version than mine. The crowd tut was really interesting. I am actually going for a more basic cartoon type look where the crowd is much less detailed but I guess the principle will be the same

This kinda thing
http://100frames.com/B-is-for

Thanks again for your help

Scott

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:32:23 pm

Scott

You are right. Use the combination of both Joseph's and John's advice. Use a Grid Emitter with Sprite/Texture as Particle. Make a Comp in which you have to put all the images of individuals with length one frame each. For this you can use Sequence Layeroption which will automatically do the trick.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:04:36 pm

Thanks Vishesh

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:55:05 pm

I saved back to a CS5 version, if it helps.

5656_copyofparticleworld2cs5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:03:08 pm

Johnny! Thats really kind of you. Thanks a lot!

Scott

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:48:14 pm

one more option, depending on how your shots are, is to use Card Dance on a layer that has animated or people shot on chroma moving, arranged in a grid. You can set the number of columns and rows to match that grid. The right positioning and a bit of random movement will do the trick.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:06:47 pm

Thanks for the response Ted

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]