ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chroma Key noise in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don BalchChroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:43:05 am

Recently, I keyed some green-screen footage, and there seems to be a slight halo / flickering effect to my footage. Shot with Sony SLT A57. Keyed with Keylight 1.2 that comes with After Effects' monthly subscription.

The green-screen was reasonably lit, I guess.

Basement Karate Video

Have followed the tutorials on green-screening, but fine tuning it is tough. Any ideas on how to tweak this to get a cleaner edit?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Chroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:05:46 pm

The noise issue could come from relying on Keylight's view (which one would assume would work out), Final Result. Do not use Final Result when you're assessing the key, try Intermediate Result, then tweak as needed.

Also setting Keylight's Replace Method under Screen Matte from Soft Colour to Hard Colour could help.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Chroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:03:34 am

Your screenshot didn't come through, so it's hard to know how to help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Don BalchRe: Chroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:42:30 am

Sorry... I thought I posted my link.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Chroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 17, 2013 at 2:48:39 am

The halo that I see around your subject exists in other parts of the image other than just at the edges of the keyed-out area, which strongly suggests that you shot this with auto-sharpening/auto-contrast enabled on your camera. These sorts of features add artificial contrast at edges in an attempt to make images look more sharp, but this then plays havoc with any sort of compositing or other post-production work.

To see what I mean, take your footage with no effects applied, and view the red, green, and blue channels individually. I suspect that you'll see a halo/ringing around your subject even before you've done any keying.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Chroma Key noise in After Effects
by on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:29:47 pm

Don

As Joseph said Final Result gives noisy results most of the time. Using Intermediate result is the solution. But you will loose the spill suppression feature of Keylight. Use Spill Suppression Effect after keylight with Intermediate result to get the best results.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]