ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How recreate this 3d camera pan?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableHow recreate this 3d camera pan?
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:23:05 pm

I am working on an animation in which i need to replicate the move we see at 5s.

I have made my hilly background in x2 3d layers.

My Process so far:
-created the hills in a 2 long strips in Photoshop (1 for near, 1 for far hills), use filter/other/offset, to ensure far left and far right are loopable.

- then I thought to use Paul Tearsley's pt_Panorama script to create a 3d cylinder, of the hills set the camera inside. Slowly rotate hills then pan camera to left to achieve move.

-Did this. But I have got into a right pickle with my field of view, the hills are too big, I cant pull the camera back too much as I then get the front of the cylinder.

-I am convinced there is a far simpler way to acheive this 3d move (although I think the original animation in the link was made in a real 3d program )

I only have this weekend to finish my project so any COW tips would be REALLY apppreciated....

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How recreate this 3d camera pan?
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:36:04 pm

It looks to me as if it was done in a 3D package, with the hills actual 3D elements. Can you control the size of the cylinder in the script? That might help, if can make the cylinder larger, it will be further away from the camera; or make the camera more telephoto, and move it closer to the bottles.

It looks to be just a simple 90 degree camera move, maybe locked to a null where the center of the bottles sits. If your cylinder can't be resized, maybe you can use the CC Cylinder plugin that comes with AE, map your BGD to that, and just display half of it - as I remember, there's the ability to show just the Front or Back of it. Good luck...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How recreate this 3d camera pan?
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:12:30 pm

I don't think that there is a need of any Cylindrical BG. Simply use the Bg that you have created in PS with a Motion Tile Effect or CC Reptile Effect applied to it.

If you want the Cylindrical look then Joseph's advice to go with CC Cylinder will help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How recreate this 3d camera pan?
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:05:01 pm

You could create 3d extruded hills that ca be distorted in 3d space to create the cylindrical background you need using Free Form or FreeForm Pro.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved