ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

path interpretation rules where After Effects stores interpretation of R3D-files; point two duplicates of same R3D to different RMD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andi Wand
path interpretation rules where After Effects stores interpretation of R3D-files; point two duplicates of same R3D to different RMD
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:18:03 pm

Hi everyone!

Following workflow:

I color-grade in Redcine-X 64 a R3D-File and save the RMD. Then I import the R3D file into After Effects CS5.5 an load the RMD (right click > interpret footage). Then I go to the folder where the R3D and RMD files are stored and change the name of the RMD (so it won't get overwritten). Then I open Redcine-X again, make a low exposure version of the SAME R3D and save the RMD. I go to After Effects, duplicate the R3D, give it another name and load the new RMD. Now I have two Duplicates of the the same R3D in my After Effects Project with different exposure settings, one high, one low. With these two duplicates I make (sort of) an HDR-image. In the After Effects Project are now two different exposures of the same R3D-Clip. In the R3D folder there is one file named name-of-r3d-clip.r3d and one named name-of-r3d-clip_high-exposure.r3d. This means After Effects stores somewhwere locally the interpretation rules of these two duplicates (I can close and open the project and it stays the same - it doesn't load the interpretation rules from the RMD, because it would find only one. As the other one is renamed.)
Now comes the important part. I move the project with all the footage to another hard drive, to render it on a second computer in order not to loose time on my working machine. BUT on the second computer, it does load only one interpretation of the R3D - namely the one from the RMD which hasn't be renamed. Means I will have to move the After Effects interpretation rules from computer1 to computer2, but I don't find them! In the Adobe help it says I should find the interpretation rules under the following path:

UsersLibraryPreferencesAdobeAfter Effects10.5.

But there it isn't, there isn't even an After Effects folder. In the former version CS5 it was under the following path: C:ProgrammeAdobeAdobe After Effects CS5Support Files

But there it isn't either. Does someone know where to find the interpretation rules for After Effects. Or if it is possible to point duplicates of the same R3D to different RMDs?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Andi

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: path interpretation rules where After Effects stores interpretation of R3D-files; point two duplicates of same R3D to different RMD
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:50:04 pm

I haven't tested this yet, but here would be my approach considering that Premiere stores a local copy of the RMD metadata in the project file, I assume that After Effects does the same. When relinking a file it may force the update of that metadata.

I would suggest renaming/removing all RMD files before relinking the media. This may cause After Effects to fall back onto the stored metadata or to refresh the embedded metadata to that of the camera original before you graded it. Crapshoot there but worth a try.

In After effects, you can right click a file, go to Interpret Footage > once a window pops up hit more options, and you'll have access to manipulate the R3D file. It's a pain to have to re-adjust, but I can only assume you aren't doing this processing to many clips.

The exposure stacking from one image doesn't really get you much of anything that can't be adjusted with normal color correction tools. Not a big fan of it personally.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Andi Wand
Re: path interpretation rules where After Effects stores interpretation of R3D-files; point two duplicates of same R3D to different RMD
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:19:02 am

"I would suggest renaming/removing all RMD files before relinking the media. This may cause After Effects to fall back onto the stored metadata or to refresh the embedded metadata to that of the camera original before you graded it. Crapshoot there but worth a try"

I tried, but unfortunately it doesn't work. On the computer where I started the project the interpetation stays the same, even when I rename/delete the RMD. On any other computer it displays the footage as shot (without any interpretation). This suggests that the interpretation rules are not stored in the project file.

"The exposure stacking from one image doesn't really get you much of anything that can't be adjusted with normal color correction tools. Not a big fan of it personally."

No offence, but I doubt this. Even when you work without masks. If you have time I can send you a project with a single take and the corresponding r3d-file. You send me the project back, with the same result, without stacking. Maybe I can learn something.. or you..

Thanks so far,
Andi

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Mar 19, 2013 at 7:44:38 pm

[Andi Wand] I tried, but unfortunately it doesn't work. On the computer where I started the project the interpetation stays the same, even when I rename/delete the RMD. On any other computer it displays the footage as shot (without any interpretation). This suggests that the interpretation rules are not stored in the project file.

It does. If you reinterpret RAW settings in After Effects, it forces you to save your project. A byte-by-byte compare also shows changes from this single action like editing the exposure. My educated guess is that it's sensitive to be overwritten when moved to other systems.

Regardless, I would just edit the RAW settings within AE. It uses RED's interface and you don't have to deal with renaming metadata.

[Andi Wand] "No offence, but I doubt this. Even when you work without masks. If you have time I can send you a project with a single take and the corresponding r3d-file. You send me the project back, with the same result, without stacking. Maybe I can learn something.. or you.."

No. You may like the contrast response some level of this stacking does, but you aren't creating detail out of nothing; Your're brightening or darkening existing pixel detail.

The only RED footage that has a ton of data you can't see is HDRx, and only if you export the video as an OpenEXR sequence.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]