ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera push/dolly through Window into office

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared HoyCamera push/dolly through Window into office
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:14:42 pm

Hey all. I just want to start by saying thanks for clicking and reading.
I'm on the hunt for a tutorial or some guidance on how to take the camera through a solid window (removing it and recreating it digitally is not an option) and into the room. let me set the scene:

Int. Hallway
A window can be seen. The text of PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, is stenciled upon the glass. Blinds are obscuring the view into the office. The camera pushes in towards the window, passing through it to reveal...

Master/Wide of 3 folks sitting around a desk.

The problem is that I can't remove the window to do it digitally. My initial thought was it was a 3 shot setup, 1) the dolly/slider in towards to window, going to glass. 2) a greenscreen shot of the blinds to help cover the transition that I can overlay of shot 3) a the people sitting at the desk.

I'd do a distortion as the glass is passed through briefly and on a 3d layer, move the blinds towards the camera, seemingly passing it through the blinds and coming to rest on the end shot.

am i thinking about this the right way? thoughts and feedback would be wonderfully appreciated!

Jared Hoy | t: @jaredhoy
Director & Cinematographer | |

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Camera push/dolly through Window into office
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:00:48 am

It could certainly work if you make the scale of the blinds match the shot in an artistic way - probably keeping them larger in scale than normal.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Jared HoyRe: Camera push/dolly through Window into office
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:28:36 am

I've been thinking about another way. What if I did a digital push in/move the static image towards lens I lieu of the dolly shot, then it would only be 2 shots and I wouldn't have to key anything

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved