ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using a Null Object to pass over an object?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon PinesUsing a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:27:01 pm

I am not sure if I am asking this correctly but I will give it a try.

I have a project that has several layers. To simplify my question I will says I have a foreground Video (a person), an image behind the video that sits on another image (a frame of sorts).

I am trying to produce the effect where the camera zooms past the video of the person and brings the two graphics into full frame. I thought i needed to do this with a null object but had not had success.

I also want to see how I can link the two graphics together so I can apply the camera effect on both of them.

I hope someone here can assist me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 9:58:40 pm

If I understand your situation correctly, you should parent your AE camera to the null. Than animate the null instead of animating the camera.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon PinesRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08:59 pm

Thank you Dave. I was hoping you would answer!

I understand pairing the camera to the null, but how to i target the images in the background to have the camera fly past the video in the foreground and make the two images behind (which I assume I would parent one to the other) to fill the frame?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:28:26 pm

You animate the null's rotation to turn the camera.

Tell you what: search on the COW for the Andrew Devis tutorials on making a 3D camera rig for AE. I'm pretty sure it's in his AE basics series of tutorials. They are EXTREMELY helpful, and it's information that people paid $500 to get ten years ago.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon PinesRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:00:09 pm

Dave,

I am not trying to turn the camera around an object in 3D space. I am trying to have the camera "fly" passed the video in the foreground and make the smaller images on the layers behind the video (and to the upper-left) be pulled into the camera view and centered on the screen.

So Video of person is on my right and images on the upper left. I want to have the camera go past the video and bring the images into full frame. That is the effect I am trying to achieve.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30:55 pm

Brandon

There is no way other than animating the Camera(parented to a null or not).

You have to do it manually. As Dave said creating a Camera Rig would help to give precise and subtle camera moves.

Check this tutorial:

http://lesterbanks.com/2010/05/after-effects-using-simple-camera-rig-and-su...

Or you can use Video Copilot's Sure Target Plugin which will automatically animates the camera and move to the next target. Though you have to experiment with it a little.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Using a Null Object to pass over an object?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:34:14 pm

If you are animating the camera then you don't need a null.

If you are animating the objects then you could either:

1) Animate one of the layers and parent the other two layers to it.

2) Animate a null and parent all 3 layers to it.

In general I would pre-compose the frame layer with its content, then you only have 2 layers to deal with.

Alternatively you could parent the frame layer to the layer it's framing (or vice versa). In that case you don't need to parent the child layer to the null since the parent layer would already be parented to the null.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]