ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replace Missing Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JohnsonReplace Missing Footage
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:38:18 pm

I have an After Effects project with footage missing. I alt click on the footage I want to use and drag it onto the placeholder layer, the place holder is replaced by the footage but it removes it from the timeline. The footage should be part of a 3d layer but once I replace it it totally disappears. I even double clicked on the placeholder in the project panel and chose the correct video from the explorer menu and the same thing happens. How can I replace the placeholder with the correct image and not lose it from the timeline?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Replace Missing Footage
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:43:05 pm

Your description of the situation is confusing.

If you have missing footage you should select it in the timeline and use cmd-opt-h (mac) or ctrl-h (pc) to relink it (replace the placeholder of the missing footage with the proper footage).

If you could describe what you are trying to achieve in more detail then maybe someone could give you another option.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Replace Missing Footage
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:56:45 pm

Jason

As Darby said that it is a bit confusing. Relinking/Replacing the footage in Project Panel and Replacing the Footage in Timeline are two different things with different Procedures.

Try Replacing/Relinking the footage first in Project Panel and the Replace the footage in Timeline dragging the footage over the layer to be replaced holding Alt/Optn.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Jason JohnsonRe: Replace Missing Footage
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:34:01 pm

It does sound confusing, I'm explaining it wrong. I have a project with several videos. When I open the project all the video footage is there except for one. A menu pops up saying I'm missing a file since I last saved and in its place is a color bar place holder. After searching online I learned I could replace the placeholder with the right video. The first way I did it was I held down the alt key and dragged the correct video on top of the placeholder layer. The replacement video replaced the placeholder layer but on the timeline and preview screen the placeholder disappeared and the replacement video did not take its place. On the timeline there is a blank area and on the preview screen the space is blank as well. But on the layer it is labeled correctly. I also tried double clicking on the placeholder and choosing the right file from window explorer but the exact same thing happened. It looks like the placeholder is being replaced but the timeline and preview window is left blank and I can't tell how to unhide it if its hidden.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:10:44 pm

I just realized I indicated that you select the footage in the timeline, what I meant was the project panel. Apologies for confusing things further :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jason JohnsonRe: Replace Missing Footage
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:37:10 pm

Yes I did as you suggested and it does the same thing. It seems to be replacing the placeholder. The layer that shows the placeholder with the placeholder thumbnail is replaced with the name of the correct file and the thumbnail of the right file. but in the timeline and preview windows the place where the placeholder was is now gone. There is just a blank spot on the preview window and the timeline is empty. The layer shows something is there but I can't see it on timeline or preview window.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Replace Missing Footage
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:46:43 pm

Jason

It might be possible that some effects are applied to the footage. Select the Layer in the Timeline and check if some effect is applied. Try disabling it, if there is any. Also check the Scale Parameter of Layer.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2013 at 10:09:02 pm

[Jason Johnson] "There is just a blank spot on the preview window and the timeline is empty. The layer shows something is there but I can't see it on timeline or preview window."

Try selecting the layer and pressing the '[' key. This should move the in point of the layer to the location of your current time indicator on the timeline.

If you see something in the timeline then you may need to extend the in or out points so that you can see the entire clip.

There are several reasons this may be happening but they all relate to the placeholder layer having a different duration/in point than the footage you are replacing it with.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]