ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I turn my .ai line drawing into open mask paths in after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica LawheedCan I turn my .ai line drawing into open mask paths in after effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:03:39 pm

Howdy!

So I've got this simple outline drawing of a person that I want to animate to look like it's drawing on the screen. I know about the stroke effect, but I'd rather not have to use the pen tool to draw my masks over top of the illustration if I can help it, as there will be many of these.

I've tried copying the paths from Illustrator to my AE comp, but that gives me a mask OUTLINING my lines, (like it is in the file itself) and creates some issues where they overlap. I'm looking to turn the paths themselves into a path that isn't closed, and just apply the stroke effect that way. I feel like it should be crazy easy, but I'm missing it, and google searches just come up with auto-trace which puts the mask around it again.

Thanks in advance, even if it's just "Soldier through the pen tool"

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can I turn my .ai line drawing into open mask paths in after effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55:45 pm

You could convert your vector graphics from Illustrator into shape layer graphics in After Effects and use the Trim Paths path operation to draw the paths on.

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/converting-imported-vector-graphics-f...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jessica LawheedRe: Can I turn my .ai line drawing into open mask paths in after effects?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:15:23 pm

Thank you for the response! I tried your suggestion, but when I animate the start/end of the trim paths, it begins to fill in the outline drawing with color as it animates off. I will play around with this though, to see if I can't work it out. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jessica LawheedRe: Can I turn my .ai line drawing into open mask paths in after effects?
by on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43:34 pm

So I figured out that the reason my paths were turning into outlines was because there were slight variations of width, and the outline of the mask was accommodating for that. If I duplicate the project and turn everything into a uniform width with a basic line, then all the paths copy over just as they should.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]