ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is this After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert GerrardIs this After Effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:40:01 am

My boss wants me to make something similar to the text @ 0:20 and I'm having trouble figuring it out. I'm wondering how the text is able to come from behind the cloud. Is it a still of the clouds then a camera projection in After Effects? Any direction or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:37:26 am

I have two thoughts on this, the first they foreground clouds are fake: 3D Camera tracked video layer(creating 3D camera), 3D text, 3D fake clouds layer.

The other thought 3D tracked video layer, 3D text and another layer of the same video, with just the clouds(using masks). Because the clouds are white and the text is white, if you didn't have a perfect mask, it would be pretty hard to tell.

That video BTW has some great looking footage...WOW

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Robert GerrardRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:08:51 am

Thank you for the response. I was thinking the same thing in regards to the clouds! So it's good to know I'm learning and on the right path.

As for the text though, this is the real trick I would love to know how to do. I have purchased the Element 3D plugin for AE but I don't know to to makle the text move smoothly along a stright line at angles congruent with the image so that it really appears fixed in the video. The clouds covering over it are awesome!

And yes, Brain Farm has some stunning imagery indeed. I work with Red Bull and want to be able to compete with this company and their talented staff.

I have some other videos with examples of this text that I'd love more explanation or links to tutorials on:
(0:06 into the video) - pretty great footage too
(0:35 into the video)

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:54:28 am

Matchmoving, or camera tracking, is the name of the game. There are lots of tutorials available for these techniques online.

There are also lots of tools. CS6 includes a camera tracker effect. The Foundry has a camera tracker plug in available for AE. The latest versions of Mocha Pro include camera tracking. There's also Syntheyes and Bojou.

Any of these may work but they'll all work differently. I like The Foundry's solution personally. You could also attempt to manually match the camera move.

Regardless of which way you choose having some basic information about the camera that filmed the shot will help. Especially the focal length, camera height and distance to (a) subject.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:47:56 pm

Robert, if you have a newer computer running Win 7 I share this warning with you.

I used the Foundrys Camera Tracker for years on my Mac Pro with no issues. I then switched to a brand new Sandy Bridge based HP Z820. I found that Camera Tracker would consistently hang when I tried the "Solve" process.
After spending several weeks trouble shooting with the Foundry techs, they were unable to figure out what caused the hanging. I switched to Syntheyes which is a much more powerful product used on many feature films. It works great!

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:42:35 am

AE CS6's 3D Camera Tracker should do the trick. Lots of info here, within the COW Forums and there are a few COW Tutorials as well.

To get the text to sit/sleep/indulge behind the clouds, you'll want to look at using a luma matte extraction technique.

- RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Is this After Effects?
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:50:06 am

My guess is that the artist created a matte for the foreground clouds and composited the text in behind the matted clouds.

As for the tracking, those shots are all very short and my guess is that they were manually match moved. Most camera trackers I'm familiar with would have a hell of a time trying to track clouds like that.

If your shot is not clouds then camera tracking might be possible for you. It all really depends on your source material and the result you want.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved