ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

collapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Collinscollapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:09:46 am

I have looked all over the forum and have found several posts related to the collapse transformations button but I cannot find out exactly what I am doing wrong so I wanted to ask the experts.

I am doing a typography piece. Within my master project, I have several pre-comps with text that flies in and fades in etc. I also have several single words that are floating in 3D space. I am controlling only one camera with a null object through my 3D space layer. As I fly by a pre-composed block of text it becomes grainy and as it was created it AE I would like it to stay sharp. However, as soon as I click the collapse transformations button, the pre-composed text disappears even though I can see the outline of it on my screen and the position of the layer has not changed. I am unsure what is going on because the pre-composed layers do not have a camera in them, nor do I have them in 3D inside of the nested comp.

Look at layer 25, the top image is the original that becomes grainy as the camera zooms in, and the bottom is the text going away as I click the collapse transformation button.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: collapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:45:37 am

God Helps those that Help Themselves. ;-)

Go into the precomp to enable the 3D switch for the Text Layers.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: collapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:55:21 am

[Adam Collins] "I am unsure what is going on because the pre-composed layers do not have a camera in them, nor do I have them in 3D inside of the nested comp."

As Roland already stated you need to have the 3D switch enabled in the pre-comp. If you want motion blur on the layers you also need that enabled in the pre-comp. Layer switch states and material options are taken from the layers that are inside a pre-comp when it has collapse transformations enabled.

Furthermore, if you had a camera or lights in the collapsed pre-comp they will be ignored entirely in the parent composition. So that wouldn't be your problem, but it might surprise you in the future. Best that you know now :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam CollinsRe: collapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:27:33 am

I appreciate the help. I had tried putting the items in the pre-comp in 3D and they were still going away, so I was very confused when I read the replies. However, I also have light sources in the master comp that are no where near the pre-composed layers, and even though I had pre-comp set to not accept the light, all of the individual layers were taking on the property of accepting light within the pre-comp so it made them go entirely dark by carrying over that property regardless of how I have the pre-comp itself set.

Thanks for the additional info about the motion blur, I had them checked in the pre-comp layer because of the nature of the motion on flying in, but that would have been another sticking point in the future I am sure.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: collapse transformations makes my 3d layer disappear.
by on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:34:11 am

[Adam Collins] " I had pre-comp set to not accept the light,"

You will need to apply the setting to the individual layers in the precomp.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]