ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Xml into After effects + changes afterwards workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Wahoo
Xml into After effects + changes afterwards workflow
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:37:57 pm

Hi,

i´m working on a project, where i got the footage and the .xml from a Final Cut Pro Timeline.
I imported the Clips into After effects, which worked fine.

I know there will be some (minor) changes with the edit, so i´m wondering if there´s a way i can start working on the Clips in After Effects and then update the projcect with the finished .xml without loosing my effects and all the things i did within After Effects.

Any smart solution to this?
I know it would make sense to wait for picture lock, but as always, this seems to be wishful thinking ;)
Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Xml into After effects + changes afterwards workflow
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:21:20 pm

Sorry, but there's no really good answer to this, especially since you probably don't know the nature of the "minor changes to the edit" will be.

We're also hamstrung because we don't know the nature of the AE work you're going to do. Color correcting and grading presents one set of problems, but a special effects tour de force presents an entirely different set.

Now, if you KNOW that certain sections of the project are locked, why not start with them?

Without picture lock, it's just messy and cumbersome for you.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Wahoo
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:38:03 pm

Hi, thank you for taking you time to answer.

Just to let you know, usually when i´m color grading I´m using Assimilate Scratch, where i can import the edl, start working and if there´s only changes in the timing of the edits, where some clips might get longer or shorter (that´s what i meant by minor changes) I can reconform and i still can keep my color grades.

As this project involves not only a single timeline and color correction, but multiple layers and blending modes as well as some roto and cleanup i guess i´ll be forced to use after effects and i was hoping that there might be something similar in AE like conforming in Scratch. (and i only have a license for Scratch in v6, where there is no multilayered timeline :( )

I´m aware that AE is built for different purposes, but i guess i will have to push them towards picture lock. and start with the more complex shots, that are already fixed...as you have said...

thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:53:00 pm

Well, After Effects DOES have Color Finesse bundled with it, and you could use it for color grading: that's what it's made for.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]