ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cal ThorleyJittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:48:42 am

Hi,
Fairly new to after effects and just after a point in the right direction - if there is one.
I've been given some footage shot on a gopro mounted on the front of a chopper to edit into a tv show.
And it's very shaky with all the vibration going on. Further complicating that is the "jitter" is messing with the whole rolling shutter deal and much of the picture has a warping/jelly look.
It's not practical to ask them to reshoot so I have the fun job of cleaning it up the best that I can for further evaluation.

I've downloaded a trial of The Foundry's Rolling Shutter for AE, and also tried the trial of (gasp) FCPX for it's built in one. Both not great result wise so far.
Most luck I've had has been with AE6's warp stabiliser and maybe a bit of luck with the rolling shutter filter.

But as mentioned, I'm pretty new to this. So, just wondering where an after effects ninja might start?
But I'll settle for anyone that knows more than me!! Which is probably all of you lot.

Thanks in advance.
Cal

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:38:49 am

I think that you're on the right track with Warp Stabilizer.

Be sure to go through the resources here to get the most out of it:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/04/warp-stabilizer-in-after-effect...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cal ThorleyRe: Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:49:05 pm

Thanks Todd. Appreciate the tutorials link. Think I've got it as good as I'm going to now!
Thanks again.
Cal

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:25:56 pm

I'm REALLY sorry to hear that no one had the presence of mind to use a stabilized helicopter mount for this footage: vibration's a killer. Using Todd's suggestions you can make it much better -- which may be good enough -- but I wouldn't expect it to look perfect.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cal ThorleyRe: Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:56:11 pm

Hi Dave.
Yes, been a time consuming job to fix too. And I use the word "fix" very loosely!
I think it's partly clever marketing too on GoPro's part. Lots of people think you can just stick them on anything and get a good result. I've personally got good results when used in ideal conditions but plenty of substandard stuff too when any shake enters the game.
Cheers,
Cal

Return to posts index

Ben JonesRe: Jittery jellocam gopro helicopter footage. Where do I start?!
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 8:25:05 pm

Tom Antos has a good fix before the fact:
Wish I had know about this about a month ago!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]