ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Mortal Kombat Special Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike AltstadtAfter Effects Mortal Kombat Special Effect
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:54:27 pm

I am looking for suggestions on how to re-create a spear launching effect from the game Mortal Kombat. I am working on a video game music video where the character shoots a roped/chained projectile at his opponent. Any ideas on how to approach this effect?

I am working with a green screen side angle view only (similar to the video game, see below). The characters are live action so it will have to appear realistic rather than stylized.

Live Action Example:

Video Game Example:

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: After Effects Mortal Kombat Special Effect
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:18:31 pm

From that live example, the there's only a 3d modeled rope/arrow head launching from scorpion's hand at the 3s mark. All the rest is a real rope under sub-zero's arm.

Do you have any experience with a 3d modeling app? After effects may not be your best approach.

It seems pretty easy to accomplish the same level of that example...dark scene, quick and blurried arrow, camera cuts/angle. low contrast. Everything is contributing to make it look more real.

Where do you think you will struggle? Modeling? animating? compositing? shooting?

We can be more helpfull if you tell us more

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: After Effects Mortal Kombat Special Effect
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:09:02 pm

I concur with Cassius.

You may have to use a 3D application for this effect. Its a 3D rope that has been used in the movie. You need to go through all the steps from Modeling of rope in 3D app like Maya or Cinema 4D to final compositing of shot.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved