ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating text with sliders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh SmithAnimating text with sliders
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:51:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like my text layer to count up from 0 to 1,800,000 over the course of 60 seconds. I have tried to use a slider control, but I can only get it to go up to 1,000,000. How can I fix this?

Also, how do I only animate part of the text? So, for example, I have it saying: "Time elapsed: 0 seconds", and I would like it to animate just where the "0" is, from 0 to 60, and the rest stays the same.

Also, how can I add commas into the animated numbers? So that I get 1,800,000 and not 1800000?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Animating text with sliders
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:05:52 pm

I think that, in your case, Expressions are going to fill the bill. Here's a link to the expression, and a way to get numbers over a million:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating text with sliders
by on Mar 11, 2013 at 2:22:00 pm

If instead of using a slider, you use Effects > Expression Controls > Angle Control, you can go over 1,000,000. I have no idea why angle control can do this and slider can't, but it's a good little work around.

So use the counter link that Mr. Bourke provided, but in the directions where it says use a slider, just change that to angle control.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Animating text with sliders
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33:52 am

There's no good reason for the slider control value to max out at 1,000,000. I'll see if I can fix that.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved