ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Painting In Blurs & Layer Window Shortcuts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KuzelickiPainting In Blurs & Layer Window Shortcuts
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:39:38 pm

Hi there,

I've always wanted to be able to paint in blurs in particular areas of footage, like you can paint blurs on an image in Photoshop with the Blur brush.

So I 'sort of' figured out a do-it-yourself version, using an Adjustment Layer with a Solid as a Track Matte and the Paint effect. It's not perfect, however, as you can only paint on the Solid in the Layer window, and can't actually see the footage you're painting on (ah, I miss you Vector Paint).

Anyway, my solution is to simply load the footage frame I'm working on into the Layer window as a Snapshot, and use F5 to flick back and forth to the image as I paint on the Solid. Doesn't take long to get used to, and I can't think of any other way to do it.

If someone can, it would be awesome to know. :)

My question, however, is about the Layer window itself:
"Is there a shortcut to access the different layers loaded into the Layer window? That is, the layers in the drop-down list."

In Premiere, you can easily access multiple clips of footage loaded into the Source window, from a drop-down list (using the [ or ] shortcuts). I'm just wondering if AE has something similar to that for the Layer window?

Would make things much quicker for me when I have to advance to a new frame to paint into. At the moment, I have to either manually open the Layer window drop-down list, select the footage layer, take a Snapshot of the new frame, and then open the Layer window drop-down list again and re-select my Solid OR I just keep double-clicking the footage and Solid alternatively for each new frame.

It doesn't take that long really but I'd much prefer a keyboard shortcut to quickly access the Layer window's drop-down list.

If anyone can help with this, would love to know.

Thanks kindly,

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Painting In Blurs & Layer Window Shortcuts
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 4:58:19 pm

For keyboard shortcuts, go here:

Look for the entry for "Cycle to previous or next item in active viewer (for example, cycle through open compositions)".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Alex KuzelickiRe: Painting In Blurs & Layer Window Shortcuts
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 5:20:52 pm

Hey Todd,

Thanks for that - worked perfectly! :)

If anyone's interested the shortcut is either:
Shift & ,
Shift & .

They toggle back and forth through the items in the Layer window drop-down list.

Much appreciated,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved