ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects gradients banding + Youtube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik SkavinskyAfter Effects gradients banding + Youtube
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:34:27 am

I'm making my gradients smooth and clean in AE by modifying Ramp scatter, then I render them in QT animation compression (I've tried everything - from tiff sequence to lagarith), then send to Adobe Media Encoder to compress to h264. As a result - really smooth looking gradients, independently of bit depth (I work in 8bit), and grain - never add it.

Then a problem comes. I upload the vid to youtube and it destroys everything - check for yourself, in fullscreen 1080p

with grain

Strange thing with Vimeo - it seem to increase banding with scatter

Archive with initial files:

Working in 16/32 bits doesn't help - it's youtube that introduces banding. How should I prepare my files for youtube upload?

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: After Effects gradients banding + Youtube
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 9:11:39 am

There is a preset for YouTube HD and SD videos under Web section. Have you tried them?

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Nik SkavinskyRe: After Effects gradients banding + Youtube
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 9:18:39 am

Those presets are just sets of parameters for h264, no "youtube magic". I'm using something similar to Youtube HD but with higher bitrates.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects gradients banding + Youtube
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:42:23 pm

Since the problem is happening only on the YouTube side, you may simply need to avoid gradual gradients when creating content primarily for YouTube. There's not a lot that I can help you with on our end if things are looking fine all the way through our pipeline.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved