ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking two points for Advanced Lightning effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim RevermanMotion Tracking two points for Advanced Lightning effect
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:05:55 pm

Forgive me if this has been addressed. I searched but could not find any posts related to my issue.

I am attempting to create a lightning strike between two points, such as two index fingers.

Both fingers will be moving. Is it possible to use motion tracking on both finger tips and apply the origin of lightning to one finger tip and the direction point to the other finger tip?

Many accomplish this by simply advancing footage frame by frame and adjusting the points of the lightning, but it seems this should be possible using two tracking points or possibly separate trackers.

I had some success applying tracking to a null layer than parenting the origin point of lightning to the Null, but cant seem to figure out how to parent the destination. Is it possible to setup two separate trackers on the same footage? Would I use two Null Layers?

Any help is most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion Tracking two points for Advanced Lightning effect
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:58:13 pm

If you are able to track the two points then you should be able to link them to the two position properties in the Advanced Lightning effect.

You should take note that your idea/plan to use parenting is wrong. Parenting links the position property of a layer to another layer. What you want to do instead is to link an effect's position parameter(s). This is done with a simple Expression pickwhip or copying the tracking data from the source and pasting it into the target effect's appropriate property.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved