ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Karsner1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:25:12 pm

I am working on a project that was shot Green screen 1080i. I am needing the final product to be SD 4x3. I have created the green screen key in After Effects in an HD timeline then dropping that into a SD timeline, resizing the HD comp, and rendering that to a 4x3 SD ProRes 422(HQ) file.

I've tried swapping the field dominance back and forth to hopefully adjust for the difference but my final video when played back through Media 100 is getting horizontal "tears" all the way across the screen in two or three different places.

When played back through Quicktime on a progressive monitor, I am not seeing this effect... only through the Media100 playback to a TV monitor.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Bob

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Return to posts index

David BaudRe: 1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:36:51 pm

Do you need to deliver an interlaced master in SD?

In any case I would de-interlace your footage in the AE "interpret window" before doing any compositing work.
If you need to re-introduce interlacing for your render, you can do that in the output module.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Bob KarsnerRe: 1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:06:31 pm

The final delivery is a rear projection screen in a church sanctuary. All the videos they use are SD. I may just have to do some test to see what ends up looking the best on their system... extra work. Awesome!

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: 1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:38:57 pm

Bob

It seems that the Separate Field is not set to Off in interpret Footage setting. Select the footage in project panel, right click and choose Interpret Footage>Main. Set Separate Fields to Off. Monitors are for viewing interlaced footage. If you are going to broadcast the video than you output is fine.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: 1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:40:24 pm

Hi Bob

-- if you havent done it already check your import field order as well as the comp setting and the render output ----

-- also I got caught out once rendering up a submaster which had some kind of field issue 'baked' into it and this could not be sorted by adjusting the settings in the final comp.

---------- good luck I know this stuff can be a pain sometimes .

-------------------------- chris -------

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 1080i footage combined with SD footage?... field dominance issue!
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:12:38 pm

most of the possible situations have been touched on here, but as a rule of thumb in ae, if you work with interlaced footage, make sure that ae is correctly separating fields, you can render back to fields at the end (render settings>field render>pick an order).

I also typically check the option for 'preserve edges' unless i know i won't be modifying the placement or rotation of the clip. for keying i always enable that option.

ae does normally separate fields when it sees footage that has a frame size and frame rate that is usually interlaced. so if you hd footage was 1920x1080 and 29.97pfs or 25fps, it should have separated fields correctly, but you can always check by right-click the footage in the project panel and choose interpret footage>main (there's also a button at the bottom of the project window).

for the render, you can enable field rendering in the render settings (as mentioned before). sd is typically lower field first, but it can vary, so you may want to find out what the media100 is set to (if it's dv, then it should always be lower).

another problem can arise if the media 100 is set to d1 standard or dv. the frame size is only 6 lines different, but that can cause horizontal tearing if the nle just scales it vertically to fit the timeline settings. it can also screw up field order...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]