ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Objects orbiting around an invisible point?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana Gandila
Objects orbiting around an invisible point?
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:05:57 pm

Hi there!
I'm new to AE and I'm writing because I have been looking for a tutorial, but because I don't know what I'm actually looking for, I'll write it here. :)
I have 4 pictures that I want to "float" on the screen. I want them to appear in a row, and float from the right side to the left and then stop in the center of the screen. I want the pictures to orbit around an invisible object, without rotating to see their "back". I've tried with null and camera, but that didn't give me the movement I was looking for.
This is the principle:

Any idea how do I do that?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Objects orbiting around an invisible point?
on Mar 5, 2013 at 1:06:46 pm

Exactly what's not working with parenting the pictures to a null? Is it seeing the "back" of the pictures? If that's the case, you can parent to the null like usual and rotate the null. Then open up the rotational properties of your picture and set an expression on the y rotation, enter a negative sign(-) and pickwhip to the null's y rotation. That will keep your pictures facing camera.

The expression should look like this: -thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.yRotation

Here's a little sample project. 5586_rotationaroundnullfolder.zip

If thats not the issue, let us know and we'll try to work it out from there.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Diana Gandila
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:22:36 am

Thank you very much, Johnny, that's exactly what I wanted! I figured out the trick now. :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 5, 2013 at 1:25:25 pm

Another way of doing it is to set the orientation of the picture layer to be always towards the camera:

Layer/Transform/Auto Orient... or Ctrl+Alt+O and check the "Orient towards camera" option.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:10:14 pm

Auto Orient can cause a layer to turn on the x or z axis which may not be desirable. If it doesn't give you the look you like try this expression from Dan Ebberts:

http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/auto-orient-y-only.html

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Diana Gandila
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:24:34 am

Thanks, that's very helpful! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]