ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Old film jitters/dust

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James InnianiOld film jitters/dust
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:42:56 am

So I'm working on a kinetic typography project, and we're looking to achieve something along the lines of this (please excuse the song choice, the video is what we're focused on here, lol!):

In the past, I've used film scratch/dust overlays, but never to the extent seen in this video. The main question: what would the workflow look like for that amount of footage in AE? It looks like there are at least 10 - 15 (probably more) different footage clips going on in this video. When making typography videos, I usually pre-compose each line that appears on screen at a time -- I'm thinking that I'll just add each footage clip into its respective pre-comp and adjust the opacity/blending mode as necessary. However, if there's an easier way to approach this, I'm all ears.

Secondly, are there any resources you'd recommend for stock footage of old film/dust? I've used some free footage in the past, but I don't mind paying for better stuff.

And lastly, there's a "film jitter" sort of effect throughout the whole video. Would I simply need to apply a wiggle to the Y-value of each pre-comp?

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Old film jitters/dust
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 1:45:16 pm

There are all sorts of collections and one offs that you can buy from Artbeats and Pond5 to get these looks. Look under things like Film Clutter, Film Artifacts, and those sorts of searches. There's even some free stuff out on the web that you could find by using the above searches, but the purchased stuff is higher quality.

The film jitter you're seeing is probably done using something like the Misfire module in Magic Bullet Looks:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/blog/tag/misfire/

I believe it has a built-in frame jitter, but of course, you could also do the Y-value wiggle you spoke of, but the preset is a little more complex than that.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

James InnianiRe: Old film jitters/dust
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:48:11 pm

Very good suggestions, Joseph! Found a bunch of useful clips on Pond5. I also had no idea that MBL had that capability, so I'll definitely demo it out and see what I can accomplish. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Old film jitters/dust
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:51:44 pm

James -

If you shop around a bit, you might find the Magic Bullet Suite at a serious discount. While it retails for about 800 dollars, I found a legal copy of it on *bay a year or so ago, for well under half price. It had not been installed, and registered just fine with Red Giant Software. You have to be careful, and request from the seller that if the product does not install, you will get a refund. That way, *bay will back you up, and you are covered and will get a refund, if the seller has put it in writing that it's a legal copy.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]