ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

advanced 3d time freeze.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthaladvanced 3d time freeze.
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:12:02 pm

hi all,

I would like to know how to do the advanced 3d time freeze effect as seen in the bar scene of the movie "the other guys" (video link below)

I know how to do a similar effect where the actors stay still during the shoot and I track the footage motion with boujou or moca and add some floating elements to sell the effect. but I imagine this done very differently.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: advanced 3d time freeze.
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:15:18 pm

They probably used a Bullet Time Camera Rig and then composited the multiple shots together in post.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: advanced 3d time freeze.
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:28:06 pm

I agree with John. They used a bunch of DSLRs to do this. Your task becomes one of planning how they sbould be positioned.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: advanced 3d time freeze.
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:26:27 pm

It amazes me that such an advanced effect was wasted on such a POS movie...just my opinion...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: advanced 3d time freeze.
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:48:46 pm

I have seen shots like that done where, as you suggested, the actors do just stay VERY still for the shot (luckily each one is only on camera for a few seconds) and then the 'floating' elements (flames, popcorn, foam, etc.) are tracked in, using 3D camera tracking (which could be done in AE) and a 3D application to model the elements to insert.

- Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved