ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export complex 3D interactions as separate render files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
Export complex 3D interactions as separate render files
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:11:01 pm

I have an animation of a lizard coming out of a sewer hole where the lizard layer is in 3D space and actually comes through the hole of a 3D ground layer.

I want to be able to export the ground layer as well as the lizard layer in separate elements so that if I want to make changes to the hue of either I can easily do that with an editing program without re-rendering the entire scene.

The problem is that I cannot seem to turn the ground layer into an effective matte (determining where the bottom of the lizard would be blocked by the ground layer) without losing its 3D capability.

My gut instinct was to find a way to color overlay the ground layer in the scene so that in the editor I could just to a color key to get rid of it. But of course even the first step of making it a solid color (rather than the textured image that it is) means losing its 3D ability.

I hope I've made my issue clear enough. Annnny suggestions would be supremely appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export complex 3D interactions as separate render files
on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:35:49 pm

If the comp looks good right now, it's pretty easy: duplicate your comp. In the duplicate, precomp the two layers: they'll show up in the project window, and you'll use them for rendering.

You should definitely render the lizard comp as an alpha-channeled movie. If there's any transparency in the background comp, you'll have to render it as an alpha-channeled movie, too. Otherwise, it's not necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:09:31 pm

This script may come in handy:
http://aescripts.com/rd-render-layers/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:14:57 am

Alex

Add-on to Dave's Advice:

duplicate your comp. In the duplicate, precomp the two layers

Open the PreComp_1(Say lizard comp), Go to Composition> Pre-Render. This will automatically send the PreComp to Render Queue with RGB + Alpha Settings. Again follow the same procedure with Precomp_2(Hole comp).

You can change the Format as by default it is Lossless which results in huge file size.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]