ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Transfer speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Transfer speed
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:19:52 am

Hi,

I know this is not about After Effects, but I hope you can help with this anyway.

I have a PC (z820) and transfered some material (copy/paste) from an external disk to my internal disk.
USB 3 and the transfer speed is only 102 MB/Second.
Is this normal speed? Shouldnt I be able to get a lot faster speed?

It is not a SSD drive, and Im using mac drive as the external drive is formatted as HFSJ.

Stig

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Transfer speed
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:34:02 am

It may seem obvious but just to make sure- are you using USB3 on both ends?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:40:21 am

USB3 on both ends.
Can mac drive be the bottleneck? What speed should I be able to get?

Stig

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 1, 2013 at 11:07:28 am

I read this on Wikipedia:
"There have been many reports of USB 3.0 equipment only transferring data at USB 2.0 speed, usually with a message "This USB Mass Storage Device can transfer information faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 port" on Microsoft Windows. This has been attributed to several causes, including drivers, certain cables specified as USB 3.0 (problems disappeared when a different cable was used), order of starting equipment, equipment needing to be disconnected and reconnected, and overclocked computers. All major test-equipment vendors offer electrical-compliance test-tools meeting USB 3.0 electrical compliance. Electrical testing requires USB 3.0 test board[29] provided type A, B, mini AB electrical compliance test breakout adapters."
Maybe that will help

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:16:11 pm

Ted

"This USB Mass Storage Device can transfer information faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 port"

I frequently get this message whenever I connect my Hard Disk(with a 3.0 USB Cable) to a USB 2.0 port. Though if I connect it to a USB 3.0 port there is no error and the transfer speed is much higher.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:44:29 pm

you could try using aja system test (or similar disk testing software) to check the speeds of both drives to see which might be the bottleneck, then trouble shoot from there.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:00:09 pm

[stig olsen] "I have a PC (z820) and transfered some material (copy/paste) from an external disk to my internal disk.
USB 3 and the transfer speed is only 102 MB/Second.
Is this normal speed? Shouldnt I be able to get a lot faster speed?"

This is normal. Modern single mechanical drives (not RAIDed) have transfer rates at between 70 and 150MB/s, depending on how full they are, their rotational speeds, etc. To get faster transfer speeds, you'd need either SSDs or RAIDs (like this) on both ends. The transfer speed will still likely max out at 200MB/s (USB 3.0 limitation.)

To get faster speeds (up to 500MB/s), use either good SSDs or RAID0 arrays over eSATA 6G. Faster than that - the big boys with SAS RAID controllers - or smaller RAIDs with SSDs.

HTH.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]