ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking Out of Screen at Two Points in AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin LovellTracking Out of Screen at Two Points in AE CS6
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 12:02:45 am

Help Please. I have a sliding clip of a persons hand using a pencil to trace a curved object. I would like to add dashes like you would see on a animated map but the dashes track the pencil as its moving leaving a trail of dashes behind. Is this possible and if so what would be the procedure to track one location to the other? Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Tracking Out of Screen at Two Points in AE CS6
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:13:27 pm

You could probably accomplish this in many ways, the easiest being if it's just a simple shape, use the pen tool to create a shape layer that follows the curve path. Then open up the shape layer > Stroke 1 > Dashes and press the "+" to enable dashes.

Highlight Click the "Path" and copy it. Now create a comp size solid and add a mask point. Now click the "Mask Path" and paste the path from your shape in there. Finally add & animate a stroke effect and use it as a track matte for your dashes.

There might be a better way to animate the dashes from within the shape layer, but I don't use shapes enough to know exactly how to reveal along the paths. Maybe someone else does. Another method you could use, if you have really good video steady video is to use the tracker to track the motion of the pencil head, and copy those position frames to a path, and create your dashes that way. The reveal step would be the same.

Here's a quick example project that I hope points you in the right direction. 5553_revealdashes.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Tracking Out of Screen at Two Points in AE CS6
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:46:08 pm

Justin

John has already given you a right direction. I have done it using a different method though very similar to what John has done.

Steps:

1. Motion Track the pencil Head using Ae Tracker and Edit Target to a Null Object.
2. Copy the Position Data of Tracker.
3. Now make a New Solid and create a rough Mask Shape.
4. Now Press MM to reveal the Mask Path parameter. Make sure your CTI is at where your Tracking data starts.
Now past the Position data of Null to Mask Path.
5. Now copy the Mask Path and paste at Path in Shape Layer.
6. Now Add Stroke and Dashes as John has explained.
7. Add a Trim Path Parameter and then animate the End Parameter.

Check the Example:

5555_animatingtrimpathwithtrackerdata.aep.zip

If you will face any problem in understanding any step, Come back and ask your query.

We will help you to sort it out.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:58:28 pm

Trim Paths...I knew there had to be a way to do that better then a track matte, good to know.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:06:36 pm

John

I want to ask you something? Since you are very senior to me in this field, I feel your advice would help me a lot. I can't talk about it here? Can you give your your Email ID so that we can talk?

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:10:53 pm

if I can help out, I will.

johnnycuevas@netscape.net

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Justin LovellRe: Tracking Out of Screen at Two Points in AE CS6
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:03:20 pm

Thanks John & Vishesh. I really appreciate you all taking the time to explain but I am such a beginner that I cannot figure out what you did. I understand how to two track and make a null object but everything else I am in the dark without physically seeing each step. Vishesh If you record what you did I would be happy to pay you. Thanks!

Justin

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:22:01 am

I would love to do that Justin.

Just send me a Blank mail: vishesharora82@gmail.com

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel: