ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Displacement Map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc LucasDisplacement Map
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 12:47:13 pm

I'm trying to create a paper ticket and trying to use a Fractal Noise effect to create a bit of texture on the ticket to make it look like paper. What am I doing wrong here

Link to project file

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Displacement Map
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:52:55 pm

You're actually doing nothing wrong - it's just that there's no detail on your paper. If you add a Grid effect above your displacement map, you'll see that it's adding plenty of distortion.

A displacement map doesn't act like a displacement map in a 3D app - it doesn't actually move the surface in 3D space. It just shifts the image pixels around.

Hope that helps.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Displacement Map
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:04:32 pm

There's no need to use the Displacement Map to create a textured look on paper; as Paul points out, it's useless for this particular task.

You can use the Fractal Noise layer in conjunction with a blend mode, affecting a solid in the color of your choice. Perhaps more than one Fractal Noise layer.

There are so many ways to skin this particular cat that one specific technique is very difficult to describe: we'd have to know what looks just right in your mind's eye, but sadly, we can't read minds. Nor do I think you'd want us to do so.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc LucasRe: Displacement Map
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:40:59 pm

Thats what I ended up doing (if we use the graphic) just blending modes and fractal noise.

Thanks for the replies!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Displacement Map
by on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:44:55 pm

Is there a reason that you have to create the paper texture in AE?

You can download free textures easily.

Check this website :

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Marc LucasRe: Displacement Map
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:50:59 am

The only reason I went the way I did originally is because I thought I could cheat 3D with the Displacement Map but after hearing what the others had said I quickly realised that wasn't a route to take. I'll definitely have a look at the free paper images they look good! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved