ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeWhat effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54:10 am

Title says it all.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:17:40 pm

Well, that is little information..
..you need a object, an animation and motion blur.
Sorry, i am willing to help, but i need more infomation!

;)

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:59:21 pm

It really depends on what the object is. If it's a simple shape, like a mobile phone or a box, you could model it in After Effects (assuming you're on CS6) using the built-in 3D tools. If you've got the Element plug-in from videocopilot.net, you can import an OBJ (3D model of anything) that you can then animate.

Presumably the motion is going to be very fast - I'm guessing about 10 frames or less - so you can add a decent amount of motion blur and get away with the model not being totally perfect.

Make sure when you animate the move, you animate the model's z-position, not the scale.

You might want to find a stock photo of a piece of shattered glass (like the spider-web break you see on a car windscreen after an accident) and comp it on to simulate a broken camera lens after the hit.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:09:54 pm

Sebastian

It depends on how you want the final look. As everyone has said few points to keep in mind are Motion Blur and animation in Z-space. For Breaking Camera lens you can use Shatter plugin with Glass Pattern.

Check the example:

5541_breakingglass.zip

It would be much better if you will use a stock footage of Breaking Glass.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:16:03 pm

[Sebastian Lee] "Title says it all."

Not really. An "object" could be a snowball or a billiard ball. Each will create a different look when it hits a camera lens.

So more details, please....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20:57 pm

Dave's right...if you're going to be lazy in your request, the answers are going to reflect that, or not be pertinent to your particular problem.

Is it a hard object? Liquid? A pillow? Is there a sheet of plexi (virtual) in front of the camera? How hard was it thrown? Starting to get it?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

michael zoppoRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:46:51 pm

It's really simple. All you have to do is just make a realistic animation of an object breaking your camera glass.

Got it?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:22:43 pm

Well, if it's so simple, then I guess you've got your answer...over and out...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:27:12 pm

;)
hahaha!!

Return to posts index

Rob MizeRe: What effect(s) are needed to make a realistic object come flying and hit the camera lens?
by on May 7, 2013 at 3:22:16 am

Hi, Sebastian...
Sorry to see the negativity you received to a perfectly reasonable question. I suppose there are those who must confirm their expertise by demeaning others.
Fortunately, people like Mr. Vishesh Arora are willing to share their knowledge and encourage the efforts of others.
I hope your project has worked out... let me know if you want to bounce around some ideas.
It's amazing what we can learn by listening.
Regards...

Rob Mize

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]