ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't Open Project (CS5)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim PresnellCan't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:43:37 am

I have a project created in After Effects CS5 (Windows) that refuses to open no matter what I try. It hangs at around 75-80% progress of opening the project every time, at which point I get "AE is not responding" error and I have to manually close the program.

I've tried every solution I've seen suggested, including moving all media to a different folder (then a different drive), opening a new project and trying to import the damaged project, trying same with all auto-save projects, cleaning the media cache, trashing the preferences, opening the project with caps lock on, no luck.

Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

steven godberRe: Can't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:27:36 pm

Hi Kim,
Is it possible to try opening the file on another machine ?

Presuming that you can open other files, what significant differences are there in the files ie; filesize, content (media etc), use of 3rd party plugins etc ..

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Can't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:00:35 pm

You have tried almost all the methods. Give the project file to someone else and see if it works on other system.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: Can't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:17:32 pm

Are you closing AE as soon as you see the "After Effects has stopped responding" message?

If you are on a Windows 7 box that can pop up rather too quickly and the program is actually still working fine. I see it all the time, I just let my computer catch up with itself and it's fine. Only vary rarely does it actually stop working.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Can't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:24:12 pm

I'm guessing that you haven't saved projects incrementally, so you can't step back to when the project did work? I hope you can get your project back, but take away from it the fact that you should always create incremental backgups as you go - you never know which plugin/keyframe/graphic could be the cause of something like this. I wish you luck with it...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Kim PresnellRe: Can't Open Project (CS5)
by on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:27:50 pm

Thanks everyone - I was finally able to get it by opening the project on another machine that also (coincidentally or not) was running CS6.

Huge relief, and thank you for your input.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved