ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Live Preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark GlenisterAfter Effects Live Preview
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:06:28 am

My preview's doesn't always seem to work in CS6. It will live update if I move a camera etc, but thinks like depth of field I cannot get working. I simply cannot see any depth of field with the aperture turned right up, draft 3D on with 3D layers space apart on the z axis.

I know it's probably some ridiculous button in cs6 I cannot find but any help would be appreciated.

Google searches for this seem to only show people who haven't got 3d layers, live update or draft 3d ticked.

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: After Effects Live Preview
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:29:09 pm

Depth of Field effects do not show up in Draft 3D, only if you've got the Fast Previews set to 'Off (Final Quality)' or 'Adaptive Resolution'. Draft 3D is just that - a quick & nasty version without stuff like anti-aliasing, shadows, reflections or depth of field.

Note that is you're using the 'Classic 3D' renderer, you'll have to use mush larger values for the Aperture and Blur Level camera settings than if you're using 'Raytraced 3D'.

Crank the camera settings to some crazy values like a 400-pixel aperture and a blur level of 800% to check if your depth of field is working, then refine it to a more sensible level. Don't forget the invaluable select an object AND a camera, then right-click to select 'set focus to layer'.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Mark GlenisterRe: After Effects Live Preview
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:55:15 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for getting back to me, just tried it and it is the draft 3D button that was screwing it up!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved