ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan PatersonCreating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:36:25 pm

I have an assignment to make a poster, I'm going to do it in AE because... well I hate Photoshop. So how do I convert the dimensions for 9x12" document in 300ppi down to 72ppi? I multiplied 9 and 12 x 300 and then divided by 72. Then I multiplied by 100 and got 3750x5000.

Is that about right?

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:54:37 pm

No need to think of PPI in AE.

Read Rick Gerard's post about PPI in AE in the thread below:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2934160

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:57:23 pm

Get rid of the 72 figure. You're working with PRINT and not video. 300 dpi would be a reasonable resolution for print.

SO: 9*300=2700, 12*300=3600. Make your comp 2700x3600 and you should be okay.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan PatersonRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:03:39 pm

Right. That makes sense. So is After Effects ppi independent then? I assumed it was at 72ppi but then I read in the article above that video really has no ppi at all, so I'm guessing that all ppi information would just be a result of the output module's settings?

For example if I was to export a Photoshop file it would automatically do it at 72, just because it has to output SOMETHING for Photoshop to read?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:17:01 pm

[Ryan Paterson] "For example if I was to export a Photoshop file it would automatically do it at 72, just because it has to output SOMETHING for Photoshop to read?"

the file you render from ae will still come into photoshop as 72ppi, but the pixel dimensions will be the same as in ae. if you need it to be 300 ppi, you'll need to set that in photoshop in using image>image size... uncheck the resample image option and change the resolution to 300ppi and then resave.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:25:09 pm

Oh, that 72 dpi stuff comes from Photoshop: it's supposed to be the resolution of TV. Never mind that this myth originated in the days where there was only standard-definition TV.

Well, guess what? Almost everybody's in HIGH definition now, so how reliable do you think 72 dpi really is? If you forget it ever existed, you'd be better off. 72 dpi, while a rough guide to TV resolution, is pretty much meaningless.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 6:24:33 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "so how reliable do you think 72 dpi really is? If you forget it ever existed, you'd be better off."

yep, the dpi/ppi in video become dependent on the size of the tv... we have 4 hd monitors turned vertically to make one big screen on one of our sets... it measure around 10ft across. we feed this a 720p signal, so 1280px / 120in = 10ppi.

but the dpi/ppi will matter in most print software, so you will want to make the adjustment in photoshop (or other image editor) to 300 ppi.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Creating a 9x12" Poster in AE
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:36:54 am

Just to confirm what others have said: In After Effects (and other video applications), there is no concept of inches; it's all just pixels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]