ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

making pen path animate...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristen garcia
making pen path animate...
on Feb 25, 2013 at 3:57:22 pm

I'm trying to make a line that I created with the pen tool animate. So far I've seen effects>generate>stroke but this is not the type of animation I have in mind. I'll explain: I have the position and rotation keyframes changing for the line alone the timeline but I would like the line to appear to "go limp" at a certain point in the timeline.. what I am thinking is that if I add pen points I can drag those points down at the point in my timeline that I want it to happen... the problem? well, it doesn't appear to be making keyframes at all... if I change the line it is changing the entire appearance of the line... not just the appearance of the line at the point-in-time....er... is this making sense? To make it clearer: The animation is a man pulling a rope and the rope breaks... I have the man flying off the screen, I would like the rope to go limp after this...

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: making pen path animate...
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:07:29 pm

If you've used a mask path on a Solid then you need to animate the Mask Path to keyframe the changes in the path. Click the disclosure triangle next to the layer, then click the disclosure triangle next the the Mask (or just select the layer and use the keyboard short cut M) and enable keyframing by clicking the stopwatch for Mask Path.

Return to posts index

kristen garcia
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:15:30 pm

I don't think I follow you... so are you saying that I should put a mask over the line (shape), which is the rope? How does putting a mask over the rope create the desired effects?

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:34:53 pm

You mentioned using the Stroke Effect, I assumed you had used a mask on a Solid layer. Perhaps you're using a Shape layer with a pen stroke.

You can use the Shape path stopwatch to keyframe changes in the path.

Or you can use the Puppet Tool to place puppet points on the path and animate those.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:41:04 pm

kristen

so are you saying that I should put a mask over the line (shape), which is the rope?

You have applied the Stoke Effect to a Shape Layer? Am I right?

I and Ridley(If I am not wrong) both thought that you have made a Mask on a Solid to create the Rope using Stroke effect, Which is the correct way.

So Ridley has given you the right direction.

If you are using a Shape Layer then you have to animate the Path Parameter of Shape Layer:

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:32:47 pm

kristen

Check this example and you will get to know how it works:

5526_maskpathanimate.aep.zip

Make sure you have the Rope Layer Selected and not the Mask while changing the position of vertices.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

kristen garcia
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:09:28 pm

Ridley was correct with the stroke and changing the "path" under the dropdown... I am able to do what I was trying to do. Out of curiousity, Vishesh, I really like the line animation you did and it looks like you used a mask for this but how exactly did you go about doing this? (I can't figure it out by just looking at your file...

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:50:00 pm

kristen

It was just a rough animation. I have animated the Mask Path parameter in the same way as you would do with Shape Layer Path. In my project file, Select the solid layer and then press UU to reveal the Keyframes. The mask has Four Vertices which I have used to create zigzag shape of rope.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]