ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiyour BuuleyI think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?
by on Feb 24, 2013 at 6:00:43 pm

Hi Everyone, this is my first use of creative cow so please tell me if i make any mistakes.

Here's the problem, im making an intro for someone but i cant figure out how to do it.
The idea is to have a shed load of hands (vectors/masks not images) that when the camera zooms out or the comp is scaled down, the hands make an image. The image i want it to turn into has an alpha channel and i can easily turn it into a mask path in photoshop.
The question is, how do i fill said image with hands, and enough hands that they'r actually small enough to look like they could be 'pixels' in the image.

I would like it that at the start of the comp/intro, the view is just of one hand, then it zooms out to see hands around it and this theme continue's till the actual image appears.

Im almost certainly missing something insanely dumb so please forgive me.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: I think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:11:22 am

Tiyour

What you need to do this is called a Matte.

Learn about track matte in after efffects

Check the example file:

5523_usingmatteinae.zip

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Tiyour BuuleyRe: I think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?
by on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:25:53 pm

Thanks so much for your reply,

I always intended to use alpha matte but i cant figure out how to fill it with thousands of hands so that when zoomed into the image It's possible see each individual hand that it's made up of. It's quite difficult to explain the idea :(

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: I think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:42:37 am

Tiyour

Can't say much about it as the !DEA is in your mind. My advice is to start the Project and then if you stuck somewhere, Post the query and people here will help you to solve it.

For reference check my example project.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Tiyour BuuleyRe: I think im a noob - How do i fill a mask with hands (made of masks)?
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 6:53:45 pm

True,

Iv started and re-started the project a couple of times, the first time i went ahead with Trapecode Form but quickly got halted by 1-2 minute/frame render times.

i then tried using mosaic tile to tile the hand several times but 1. it still rendered very slowly and 2. i couldn't randomize the rotation.

Does anyone know of a way that i can copy a single hand (made of a masked solid) thousands of times to fill another shape? so that i can then zoom in and see the detail of each individual hand?

i have the Adobe creative suite so photoshop and illustrator are also possibilities maybe?

P.S thanks for the example project Vishesh.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:52:39 pm

Tiyour

You can use Trapcode Particular with a grid Emitter. It can randomize size and Rotation which in your case would help you.

Choose Sprite as Emiiter and select your hand layer as Texture.

Check this

To keep the grid of hands steady, Make sure there the Velocity is set to Zero and there is no Gravity. You can also precompose the particular layer and then use Freeze-Time.

If you don't know the basic of Particular then go through these tutorials first:

Particular Basics

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:51:53 pm

Thanks! great idea, i would never have thought of that, it'd help with transitioning in and out aswell,

My showreel from 1 year in visual effects:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:03:27 pm

Tiyour

Give it a shot. If you face any problem then we will try to help you out. And yeah Nice Demo. Great Intros.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:55:28 pm

Thanks, Your 3D reel was impressive to say the least,
i tried out that method and it's working pretty well, thanks for the great advice

My showreel from 1 year in visual effects:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:25:31 pm

Anytime Tiyour!

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]