ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

80's Music video - how to achieve? [again]

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Genrik Chukhran80's Music video - how to achieve? [again]
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:09:06 pm

Hello everyone,

Yet indeed this is another "how to 80s" topic. I read several similar topics and practiced alot but i didn't quite achieved what i wanted. Perhaps i didn't quite got the idea how it works. My weapons are computer and panasonic hdc-mdh1, i don't have old camera or vhs player.
Here is what i'm trying to imitate:!

Even black and white version has some "magic" in it - can't seem to figure out what exactly:

Here's the guy who made it awesome:

It gives feeling that those videos have some saturated and small blur filters in it or something similar, hard to tell.
If anyone ask why i need it well here's the answer - i'm writing 80s like music and i know how to make that old quality sound. Unfortunately i don't know how to do with videos. So what's the secret? Any help is really really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: 80's Music video - how to achieve? [again]
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 8:15:53 pm

Most music videos with any budget were filmed with 16mm film. You're seeing these videos through too much degradation: a telecine version to (probably) Beta tape, broadcast, taped to VHS, encoded to the computer, and uploaded and re-encoded to YouTube. The Wham video may be one of the exceptions - since it's an official video, it may have been transferred to digital from an original beta tape.

I wouldn't, however, concentrate on fidelity effects unless you take it to the extreme and emulate analog VHS style tracking damage.

Most of these videos magic is in the aesthetic. Promist lens filters, still maturing editing techniques, the use of a videomixer to do a lumakey in the Wham video.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: 80's Music video - how to achieve? [again]
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 8:35:57 pm

Wow. Thats like saying "how do you make a movie" :D So many skills and sensibilities are involved it would be like a 2 hour dialog.

First thing you need to know is how to use the tools. Then you need to find a style you like an vary it to your taste. Hows that for starters?

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved