ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anyone tried SoShare yet?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Anyone tried SoShare yet?
on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:05:38 am

On the matter of moving large files around, I just stumbled across SoShare in an email update from NoFilmSchool. It utilizes bit-Torrent technology to enable rapid transfer of huge files (up to a Terrabyte, free).

I sent off a render this afternoon(about 600MB) to a client to test it, and while it took 3 hours and 15 minutes to upload, once the upload was done, my client had it on his hard drive in four minutes! If this works out (SoShare is in Beta, but working well for me) I'm going to be dropping Dropbox - I pay 100 bucks a year for 100GB, and the same file I sent today took four hours to get to the Dropbox, and about the same to sync to the client's drive. So it cuts my delivery time in half...for free!

I'd like to hear how others experience works out with this, since it's a work in progress, but it worked like a charm for me:

http://www.soshareit.com

I have no monetary interest in this, other than saving my skin when I'm under deadline...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Anyone tried SoShare yet?
on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:03:09 am

Joseph

Just of curiosity, I tried the service and liked it. Its pretty fast.

BTW, Do you know about PipeBytes? Its a great way to share files and you don't have to upload the files. Your PC will act as a Server and the other person can download it directly from your PC. Just give it a try. I use it to share small files say upto 100 MB.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:53:45 pm

Thanks, Vishesh!

I'm always looking for something quicker, even if I have to pay for it. Dropbox has been relatively disappointing, due to lack of speed, but it's great for backing up my critical business files, and I use it to deliver assets to my clients. But after testing SoShare, I'm really excited by being able to cut my delivery time in half or better. But I'll give PipeBytes a try as well.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:12:46 pm

Yeah! I agree with you. Dropbox is disappointing sometimes. Specially so many things to set up after installing the app. I am using We Transfer and Send Space right now. But I think I might shift to Soshare soon. I have also shared the link with my friends and they liked it too.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:48:39 pm

Thanks -

I'm wondering if there's a way that we can all collect our experiences as we test out SoShare, so that the developers can know what it needs (in our opinions), as well as troubleshoot any problems. I know the first time I tried it, it hung up when it tried to process my file - my first thought was "garbage", but I always give a techology three shots. My second and third tries worked like a charm! I put up a post over in the FCPX or Not forum, and a few people are trying it out there as well. I'd really like to see it succeed, mostly because it's fast, and it will save a lot of us a lot of time.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:08:29 pm

Even I got that problem. I think the reason is its own Browser Window. Let me explain:

The moment you click on Brows Button, It says Processing. This means that another application has to start for choosing the file to upload. This is just a guess since I don't know how software works.

See this:

Soshare Browse Window:

Default Browse Window:

It might be an issue. Just a guess. Since my Browser and PC hangs a little when Processing starts.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:28:06 pm

Vishesh -

I just discovered that SoShare has a Facebook page, the perfect place to put our input on the Beta, and request features and improvements. They are looking for input, so I posted my thought and experiences so far. I know a client of mine who's a Mac user was disappointed that there's an OS limitation on getting SoShare working.

http://www.facebook.com/SoShareIt

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:36:40 pm

I liked and Shared the page.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:13:50 pm

Hey Vishesh!

I just heard from the development team at SoShare, and they're quite glad to hear from anyone on the COW who is checking out their file transfer technology. They would very much like input:

soshare@soshareit.com

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:00:58 pm

Hi Joseph. thanks for the tip.

I was searching for new delivery ways just last week. Without luck.

I currently use Hotfile. It works out well since it has an option to enable the link to be downloaded as a premium account. So there's no waiting time for clients to get to the file. The problem I'm facing is in the upload process, though it goes up pretty fast (usually topping my bandwidth) sometimes when my ISP isn't helping (or the in-betweens) it disconnects a lot and since it doesn't support file resuming, those 4gigs uncompressed files give me headaches every time the net stumbles.

About dropbox, I wonder why would take it longer for you to upload it there than with soshare? If I may ask what's your up/down speed?

I'll try soshare, but from the quick look I saw a little downside that it requires an installed plug-in. more thoughts on it later.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 25, 2013 at 3:54:33 pm

the quick look I saw a little downside that it requires an installed plug-in

Even I had the same thought when I first checked the service. But its just one minute installation.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:44:34 pm

Hi Cassius -

My upload speed is .43mbps, and my download speed is 2.46mbps. So there's the answer to why my uploads take a lot longer on any service. The SoShare plugin is just over 1 megabyte, and I have no problem with putting it on my system - my Dropbox account requires all sorts of installs, and the SoShare developers got in touch with me about helping develop the service, so it's not as if it's some sort of malware...

Last night I sent a client file of 999MB via SoShare - while it took about four hours to upload - it took seven minutes for the client to download it! A huge speed advantage over Dropbox...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:18:41 pm

I only pointed out about the required installation because I'm searching for final delivery methods. And some clients sometimes don't even have install privileges. Never the time it takes to install nor the possibility of malware crossed my mind.

But I end up testing it. And my thoughts are:

Plugin failed to launch properly after first, second and third installation. Firefox kept saying no plugin was present neither it allowed me to upload anything. with IE after some tries it worked.

It lacks a visual display of the ongoing upload speed. Neither it shows the remaining time to complete. Upload was painfully slow for me... 10x the time it should. Download was fast, the same capped speed I get with hotfile.

I assume it won't support file resuming, so there's no point of switching over from what I currently use.
I would lose:

Ability to queue items, no deletion of files (from what I see with soshare it's 30 days), no plugin required.

It was a quick look so I may be missing stuff but as for now I see no advantages.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 25, 2013 at 6:17:08 pm

Hi Cassius -

This is a Beta product, and the developers are hoping that we will help walk them through what's missing, and what's going wrong. I have also run into the "plugin not installed" error msg. As that error msg was showing, the file was actually starting to upload beneath it. There are some funky things going on that the developers would like those of us who want to get involved, involved in.

If you would be so kind, send your comments and thoughts to:

soshare@soshareit.com

Some things I'd like to see are the same as yours - numerical indications for upload progression. Total time elapsed in accurate numbers. Final upload time on the links page that spawns after the file is uploaded.

File upload resume most definitely works - I had a lockup occur with the error msg, and when I restarted the software, it resumed where it had left off. I find it way faster than Dropbox on the download side, but it's Beta for now...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Porfirio Landeros
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:02:58 pm

Hey Guys,

Porfirio here from the SoShare team.

I wanted to let you guys know that we've made some updates over the past few weeks and we're also testing out a few new features.

Since we're developing SoShare for the creative community, we'd really appreciate it if you try it out again (if you haven't lately) and let us know what you think.

Notably, we have a new interface at soshareit.com that does not require a login. Also, we're testing out the idea of not requiring the plug-in for your recipients if the file is under a certain size threshold (we're testing 200MB right now).

Thanks for all the feedback we've received so far, and feel free to message me with any ideas/questions.

--Porfirio
The SoShare Team @ BitTorrent, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mrinalini D.s
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:51:45 pm

Hi Porfirio,

I tried to transfer 20 GB of data yesterday using Soshareit.It said I would get a confirmation email once the transfer is complete. It has been 18 hours since, and I'm yet to get a confirmation email. Is this because I'm trying to transfer a large amount of data? or would I get the confirmation only after the recipient has opened the link?

Thanks,
Mrinalini

Return to posts index

Porfirio Landeros
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:54:44 pm

Hi Mrinalini,

If you go to SoShareit.com, this should re-initialize the plug-in, then you need to keep your computer running so that the upload can finish. If you let your computer sleep before the upload completes, it pauses the transfer, and returning to the SoShare site is the only way to resume.

During the beta, there's no indicator for you to see the progress if you closed the original upload page (the one with the status bar). But you're right, you should have received an email once the upload completed.

You can always start over again, too, and make sure the browser session stays open the whole time so you can watch the progress.

Sorry it's a bit clunky, but that's the way it works during beta, since the engineers have been focused on improving the back end.

Cheers,

--Porfirio

Return to posts index

Mrinalini D.s
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:14:34 pm

Hi Porfirio,

Thanks for your response. So if the status bar shows completed status (100%), does that mean it has only completed the upload and not the transfer? Approximately how long would it take to transfer 20 GB?

Thanks,
Mrinalini

Return to posts index

Mrinalini D.s
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:34:43 pm

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Once the upload is complete, there is a link shaped symbol below that says 'Share your file'. The sender has to email that link to the recipient, herself. I was under the impression that SoShareit would do that. And since I didn't get the confirmation email, I had no idea what had happened to the files. I think you need to make it clear that the user has to manually send the link across so that he/she doesn't waste time. Just a suggestion!

Thanks,
Mrinalini

Return to posts index

Porfirio Landeros
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:03:05 pm

SoShare actually 'should' have sent the email automatically to you and the person(s) you provided emails for. They could have ended up in the spam folder or there might have been some other misfire on our side along they way.

Glad you find a workaround, and thanks for checking out the beta!

Return to posts index

Mrinalini D.s
on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:15:40 pm

Hi Porfirio,

So the upload happened successfully and I was able to send the link. But the recipient is not able to download it fully. It stalls after some of the files have been downloaded. Does soshare store my files in some cloud after I upload it or does it store it on its own servers? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if my computer needs to be on while the recipient downloads it. Also, since I'm uploading 20 GB of data, do you think its a good idea to split them up into smaller files and upload over multiple links?

Thanks,
Mrinalini

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]