ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE export of Audio wave and into Avid MC 6.5: Matte and keying confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Gentry
AE export of Audio wave and into Avid MC 6.5: Matte and keying confusion
on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:24:17 am

I created an After Effects video of an audio wave (it is set to a dance track). I am trying to get it into 6.5 MC so that the audio waveform appears on video layer 3.

So the timeline should look like this:

V1 - Various background images / textures

V2 - Band Playing

V3 - Audio Wave from After Effects

V4 - Typography from After Effects.

I want the audio wave to be edited on different layers if it is decided that it looks better that way, which is why I separated it from the Typography. Sometimes it may look good by itself, etc.

I've tried separating the audio waveform it with color range before exporting it from After Effects, and I've tried keying out the black, as well as various ways to import it into the Avid.

Do I need to create a matte for this? If so, what might be the most straightforward way to do this?

I am exporting it RGB +alpha, quicktime animation, and importing to avid with alpha channels. Still, I can't get it to work, or the key only shows everything below it, so there is a wave form of the audio, and I can see the video on track 1 or 2. Not what I was hoping for

Thanks again for all the great support.Please let me know if I need to add more information, as alpha, keying, mattes, and imports are a big area of confusion for me at times like this.

I am on a Mac, MC 6.5, AE 6.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE export of Audio wave and into Avid MC 6.5: Matte and keying confusion
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:36:01 pm

I don't know Media Composer, so I have no idea what to tell you about that end of things. However, this part of your post made me question what you were doing within After Effects:

> I've tried separating the audio waveform it with color range before exporting it from After Effects, and I've tried keying out the black, as well as various ways to import it into the Avid.

You don't need to do any keying to export the Audio Waveform effect's results with an alpha channel; the effect defines its own. Just apply the effect to a solid-color layer (or whatever) and render that out as a QuickTime movie with RGB+Alpha as the channels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:35:29 pm

Thanks Todd!
I was trying to get rid of the solid color background with a matte, had a brain fart and realized while ago that I had switched the layers of the matte (back when I did it half asleep). Working quickly whilst not yet awake can be grievous.

Thanks again for the great support on the forums, the online community for Avid and AE is really great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:16:15 pm

Is there any particular reason why you want to split this up into separate tracks in Media Composer?

I have never, EVER had any problems with doing something like this entirely in AE, then rendering out just one file for use in my editing application. I don't even bother to render the audio, even lip-sync stuff. Foreground, middle ground, background... all in one clip.

I hear DNxHD is a great codec for Avid, too.....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]