ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shadow rendering issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve McCarthy
Shadow rendering issue
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:12:08 pm

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue with rendering shadows in CS6. I've never seen this before and I can't see any settings that would cause it. It only seems to be relating to a single light, which was actually copied from elsewhere where the issue wasn't visible. I've also copied the same light into a different point elsewhere in the same composition and it has no problems.

Here's the same with the shadow intensity increased (normally at 20%, increased to 109% for the sake of making it more visible)

I'm pretty baffled!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Shadow rendering issue
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:19:19 am

Steve

Press " Cntl/Cmnd + K " to open composition settings. Go to Advance Panel, Click on Options.. Button and Increase the Shadow Map Resolution.

See the image below:

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Steve McCarthy
on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:04:17 am

Thanks, I tried this but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. I tried it up to the highest resolution and it's still having the same issue just with slightly thinner lines. It's strange because a bit further into the same composition the problem stops. It seems to only effect a couple of layers.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:25:13 pm

Here's the same with the shadow intensity increased (normally at 20%, increased to 109% for the sake of making it more visible)

Instead of increasing the intensity of one light to 109%, try using two or three lights of low intensity and see if it works.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:40:32 pm

Think of a shadow casting Light in AE as a sort of camera. Anything this Light "camera" can't see should render shadowed.

The most likely explanation for these artifacts is that you have two layers that are very close to one another in space. The light is unable to properly determine which layer is in front and which is behind (which is shadowing and which is shadowed). You can fix this by any of the following:

1) Separating the layers more until the artifacts go away.
2) Setting Casts Shadows to Off on one of the offending layers.
3) Setting Receives Shadows to Off on one of the offending layers.

In addition, these artifacts can become more pronounced as the path from the Light to the layer approaches a glancing angle. Imagine looking straight on to a piece of paper: you see a lot of it and in AE it would occupy a good amount of your shadow map resolution. Now imagine looking at paper from its edge: you see almost none of it and there is not sufficient resolution to accurately map shadows.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]