ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New AE CS6 / C4D system build!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam bevingtonNew AE CS6 / C4D system build!!
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:06:05 am

Hi all, this is my first post, so sorry if i dont give enough info, bear with me!!

I've been a designer for 5 years and have been dabbling in AE and C4d the whole time. I've decided to make the jump and devote a lot more of my time to the motion side of my work, and hence I've started building a new system to handle my new requirements :)

I need some advice on where my money would be better spent to improve render times: RAM or GPU (i currently have NO GPU, this was a second hand box bought at a bargain price off a gamer and came with a shitty ATI 4500 series 512 which was useless!)

I have a budget at the moment of $150-$175 AU

heres my current specs:

cpu: 17 3770 3.40GHZ
mobo: gigabyte B75M-D3H
RAM: 8gb kingston hyper-x ddr3
gpu: none (!)
PSU: coolermaster 500w
HDD: 2x WD caviar 500gb
1x WD black 120gb

any help greatly appreciated!! im on a tight budget so lookling for getting my moneys worth!!

thanks

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: New AE CS6 / C4D system build!!
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:15:33 am

GeForce GTX-660 Ti may fit your budget (not sure what the prices are in EU), and will work with your power supply. Anything more powerful will cost more and will need a better PSU. Anything less - probably not worth spending money on, at all.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: New AE CS6 / C4D system build!!
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:01:06 am

RAM.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

sam bevingtonRe: New AE CS6 / C4D system build!!
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52:39 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply!! Ok couple more questions:

Todd: You said ram would help, and alex said "GeForce GTX-660 Ti may fit your budget"

I've found someone selling a brand new GTX 550ti 1GB for $150AU and ive found an extra 8GB corsair vengeance for $50. I've read that you need at least 2gb of ram per core for AE to run at top efficiency. so as ive got 8 cores, that should give me a decent boost when added to the 8gb ive got in there already, then id have the extra 1GB graphics card with 448 cores to improve viewport redraws (this is really important as it pretty difficult to do anything substantial modelling wise at the moment!)

Does this sound like a sensible trade-off or am i getting the worst of both worlds??

Thanks again guys!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:56:14 pm

See this for details of GPU usage in After Effects CS6:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

RAM is used for everything. The features of a high-end GPU are used for one thing. Consider that when making decisions.

Also, I will never recommend that you buy a card that is not on the list of those that we support for all of the GPU features. Again, read that article that I pointed to for details.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

sam bevingtonRe: New AE CS6 / C4D system build!!
by on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:11:09 am

Hi todd,

i know you cant recommend it, but ive read about this hack thatll add you card to the list of supported cards in ae... i guess i just feel weird having a system with no gpu - id always thought of it as a pretty fundamental part of any decent system (after i sold the old one in my current computer, my screensaver wouldnt run anymore haha!)

so you reckon it serve me better to gert rid of the 8gb ram ive got and fill it with 32gb ram instead, and forget the gpu altogether for now?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:37:16 am

I'm not recommending that you not have a GPU. I am steering you away from considering it to be the component that you spend much money on unless you are doing some very specific things with After Effects.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]