ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM preview stalls out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce GaberRAM preview stalls out
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23:25 pm

My RAM preview of a simple 60 sec scan across a 30 Mb PSD file stalls out after about 40 sec. Also when I attempt to run the already rendered preview, AE tries to re-render frames already processed. There appears to be constant updating and swapping of RAM and disk cached data as indicated by changes from green to blue as well as gaps in the render indicator. I've tried with MP on/off. Doesn't help. Rebooted--same problem. Work area is properly set.

iMac i7, 16Gb
Disk cache 200 Gb
RAM allocated 13
AE CS6

Thanks to all for you advice

Bruce

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: RAM preview stalls out
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:45:13 am

Bruce,

I think its an issue of low RAM .. your cache is very heavy and system is running out of RAM .

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: RAM preview stalls out
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:07:08 am

Bruce

Do you suffer from the same problem with other compositions, where there is no such PSD file? Or is it taking time only with the composition that has PSD file with it?

Also when I attempt to run the already rendered preview, AE tries to re-render frames already processed. There appears to be constant updating and swapping of RAM and disk cached data as indicated by changes from green to blue as well as gaps in the render indicator.

From Adobe:

With Layer Cache Indicators on, you begin to see how After Effects breaks down the RAM cache into individual layers and even effects (a). With fast attached storage, you will see those green lines turn blue as they move from RAM to the disk (b).

Reason:

The permanent disk cache can be a little like a huge RAM extension providing much longer memory and far greater capacity. As such, it’s in your interest to maximize its performance and, if possible, capacity. Why? Not only because faster is better; After Effects actively evaluates whether it’s in the application’s best interests to commit a given process to disk. The greater the difference between processor and cache speed, the more likely a frame gets the blue cache indicator, ready to turn green at any time (and the faster it turns green, ready for real-time).

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Bruce GaberRe: RAM preview stalls out
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:51:19 pm

Thank you Ashish & Vishesh

The problem does seem to be one of resources. When I reduced the resolution for the RAM preview AND flattened the file to reduce its size, the preview proceeded fine. The question now is which resource needs to be enhanced. I am considering adding a 4 Tb G-Raid drive exclusively for my media. If I do so, should the RAM cache be on that drive or remain on the iMac's system drive? Comments happily received.

Best

Bruce

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: RAM preview stalls out
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:27:09 pm

Bruce

I am considering adding a 4 Tb G-Raid drive exclusively for my media. If I do so, should the RAM cache be on that drive or remain on the iMac's system drive?

Never do that. Your disk cache should be on the fastest drive with the fastest connection. There is no problem if it will remain on the iMac's system drive.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]