ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Crystal BehrendsChanging Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:41:22 pm

Hello,

I have been searching how to change my keyboard shortcuts for AE CS6 and cannot find a solution. I found a script through Adobe Exchange created by Jeff Almasol, but when I open the script in CS6, the changes do not take place. I have tried restarting AE, but still does not work. Here is the script I am referring to:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid...

The main shortcuts I want to change are "Add to Render Queue", "Replace Footage File" and "Hide After Effects". Is there an easy way of doing this?

I am working on a Mac Version 10.8.2.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:18:39 pm

If the script isn't working for you, you can change the shortcuts directly by modifying the text file that defines them. It's in the same folder as the preferences file. You can open that folder by clicking Reveal Preferences In Finder button in the General pane of the Preferences dialog box.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Crystal BehrendsRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:22:38 pm

I am not seeing this text file you're referring to. Where is this Preferences file? I went to Finder and opened the System Preferences and clicked on the General tab, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to adjust??

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:12:03 am

> I am not seeing this text file you're referring to. Where is this Preferences file? I went to Finder and opened the System Preferences and clicked on the General tab, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to adjust??

Open the Preferences dialog box in After Effects, not the Mac OS system preferences. Then click the Reveal Preferences In Finder button at the bottom of that dialog box.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:33:21 pm

One other method of changing keyboard shortcuts on a Mac is to use the System Preferences for the Keyboard. I've added several shortcuts for items that don't have them.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:23:43 pm

Thanks for the tip! I tried this, but it did not work for me. Perhaps because we have Creative Cloud??

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:25:33 pm

Are you sure you selected the app before modifying the keyboard shortcuts?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:34:13 pm

Yes, I believe so. Here is the screen shot: http://f1.creativecow.net/5481/ae-keyboard-shortcut
(hope that link works)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:26:01 pm

You need to enter the menu *exactly* as it is written in After Effects. Here is the Replace Footage > File... command.

See:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:31:51 pm

Thank you! The "Replace the file" shortcut change worked!

But I still can't get "Add to Render Queue" to work. I see in the shortcuts that it's the command I changed it to, but it's still not working. Oh well... guess I'll just deal with it!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:13:48 pm

I just tried it and it works for me. Check your spelling, make sure there a no extra spaces between words etc.

It must match EXACTLY what is in the After Effects menu. AND you must modify After Effects Preferences by un-checking "Use System Shortcut Keys" in General Preferences.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:33:02 pm

That did the trick! Just had to uncheck that and now it works!! Thanks for all your help :)

Return to posts index

Miguel MochoRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Jun 16, 2013 at 7:18:27 pm

I'm also trying to change my CS6 after effects shortcut and they don't work. I apply the changes but nothing happens. I went to the preferences but the option "use system shortcut keys" does not appear.
All i wanted to change is the trim shortcuts.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in CS6?
by on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:56:23 pm

Can anyone help me change the mini flowchart shortcut to Tab as it is in CC? I started a project last week in CC and became so used to it, that I'm now having a lot of trouble back in CS6 and I'm always clicking shift instead of tab, I looked at the shortcuts file but couldn't find anything related to the mini flowchart, anyone knows what's the name of such feature in the shortcuts file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]