ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Organisation of Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WalterOrganisation of Files
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:36:11 pm

Hello all,

A quick question (and before anyone says it, yes its all my fault)...

I have been working on a project at work and I'm really getting into the workings of after effects. Due to my haste in terms of getting started and experimenting, I have loads of images and files imported and their all in different places and have really crap file names which is going to begin to make things difficult.

Can I move all my files into one directory on my computer (and probably rename a lot of them) and somehow 'link' them back togther with my After Effects Project and its compositions?

I feel pretty stupid about this one as keeping a clean workspace and naming the aforementioned files with decent files names is common sense, I just got carried away I suppose... Any advice would be great.

Many Thanks

Christopher Walter

Return to posts index

Chris WalterRe: Organisation of Files
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:58:59 pm

Cancel on that people!

I figured it out...

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Organisation of Files
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:59:47 pm

This is something that After Effects has always been very good at. I never appreciated it until I used Premiere. A word of warning, don't count on re-linking being so easy in a Premiere project. Premiere loses its track of its footage with the slightest change in directory structure, and it is a giant hassle to relink a Premiere project unless you keep all of your footage in one folder (with no subfolders). I really wish the After Effects team would share their media management code with the Premiere team.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved