ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making an object appear out of nowhere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaymes RomeroMaking an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:22:21 pm

Ok so the scene is a guy trapped in a computer simulation and i want to create an effect where an object (a gun, sword, something) "appears" and falls into his hands as if it was downloaded into the program and given to him.

What i'm trying to figure out is how to create the effect without making it look extremely cheesy, although the only thing i could think of was to stick the object in front of a green screen and just drop it in via a separate layer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Making an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:53:03 pm

You could try shooting the guy without the object, then shoot the guy in the same position with the object, and do a difference key. You could then create a 3D version (or a still version, depending on how it falls, or just appears) and match it in to the actual prop.

A good way to hide the "cheesiness" that's possible with this effect is to use a lens flare, or a particle effect, or a holodeck type effect to bring the object in. This would mask the transition from 3D object to real, then allow the guy to start moving around with the real object. The green screen idea could work as well, but it might be a bit more difficult to pull off. Make sense?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:55:29 pm

You MUST have some images in your mind's eye. What happens when you see something mysteriously appear?

There are so many ways to make things appear that it isn't efficient to re-write the entire litany of what can be done just so you can have the luxury of cherry-picking the ones you want. You can help by a more detailed description.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Making an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:25:33 pm

You may want to have a bunch of jellybeans explode out of the sword. Then just as it's forming. Hide everything behind lensflares. Then have numbers fly out of his eyes as a deer jumps him like a hurdle. This will distract people from noticing the cheesy effect you are doing.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Making an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:53:17 am

My take: I would use a combination of post and practical effects.
I would have at least two cuts in the scene.
The end part would be a practical effect, two shots- suspend the gun/sword in front of your subject (eye height) with fishing thread and light it with a contrasting color- green or blue. Shoot wide with a camera move and cut the fishing thread letting the object fall in the guy's hands. Cut to a closeup (wide angle) where the guy moves into an attack position with the gun/sword in his hands towards the camera.
The first shot I would take a side photo of the object, create a displacement map and use ShapeShifter AE (SSAE)to create the 3d object in AE. I would try a medium shot- waist up, behind the guy, with a small lateral travel. Track the camera move, comp the SSAE virtual object behind the guy. One more thing- I would animate the texture of the object (precomp the layer with the photo of the object) to create the impression that the object is being formed from a digital grid.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Making an object appear out of nowhere
by on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:07:00 am

Have a look at the video posted at this thread :

There are certain points which may interest you as the guy has used a similar style for bringing up the weapon(a sword in this case). You can ask him the techniques to create the similar look.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved