ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drifting displacement map trouble...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josef brettDrifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:36:52 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use a displacement effect in AE CS6. I have a multi-layered project - a woodland scene with a ballet dancer in it. The ballet dancer is keyed footage and the woodland shot I am using as the background has a left to right track. To keep the ballet dancer in place, I have created a track on a null object and parented the ballet dancer layer to it.

When i apply the displacement effect to the background layer and use my ballet dancer layer as the displacement map, the resulting displacement effect doesn't seem to take the track into account.

The displaced figure 'drifts' in the woodland scene - moving away from the other effects I have created around the placement of the ballet dancer (all attached to this tracking null).

How can I get the displacement effect to respect the track please?!

Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:39:38 pm

You may be adding more steps than necessary. Have you tried parenting the dander to the background? No tracking needed for that....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

josef brettRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:52:03 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't work, unfortunately. I need to parent the dancer to the tracking data to get her to sit in the scene correctly (i.e. to move with the camera movement of the scene).

It's frustrating as I have tried pre-comping the dancer etc and nothing works!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 10:05:30 pm

Time for a screen shot or 2 or 3, I'd say. It's tough to envision what you're really doing here.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:10:58 am

[josef brett] "It's frustrating as I have tried pre-comping the dancer etc and nothing works!"

Enable collapse transformations on the pre-comp.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 4:41:38 am

josef

Have you tried precomposing the Keyed Footage? Try precomposing the Ballet Dancer Footage and then use this Precomp as displacement map. Precomposing solves many issues.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:48:17 am

Josef ,

U have to precompose the ballet dancer layer along with the track ..

Displacement map doesnt take into account the animation done on the displacement map layer in the same comp it takes only alpha values from the map ... so if u want to have an animated displacement map u have to precompose along with your animation in and in your case tracking...

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2013 at 9:37:58 am

Ashish,

Thank you! I think that will work. I will try it when I am on the computer.

Thank you all for your replies.

Joe

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:16:09 am

[Ashish Gupta] "so if u want to have an animated displacement map u have to precompose along with your animation in and in your case tracking..."

You can pre-compose and Leave Attributes and set the pre-comp's collapse transformations switch on. I do this a lot for these sorts of animation unaware effects (Displacement Map, Compound Blur, Set Matte, etc.)

The advantage is that you can animate in the parent comp without having to drill down into the pre-comp.

You may need to move some effects into the pre-comp depending on what your set up is. The displacement map will see the transforms in the parent comp but not the effects.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:50:33 pm

Thanks for all the help.

This is resolved now - I duplicated the tracking null and pre-comped it with the ballet dancer and then used the pre-comp as the displacement map.

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: Drifting displacement map trouble...
by on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:31:16 pm

Darby,

i just tried it .. Great tip .. thanks .. !!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]