ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chroma Keying with badly lit screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kiyan Troy
Chroma Keying with badly lit screen
on Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51:22 am

Hey all,
I have been having a little problem keying some footage that i would like to use in a project. I have tried lots of tips, tricks and advice found within the forums but I have had little luck.
The footage certainly has its difficulties, it was shot by a non professional on a HD handy cam against a badly lit screen, the subject is wearing a yellow blouse has green eyes and red hair and focus isn't always constant. Now I can't re-shoot as the subject is in the UK and I am in Malaysia and I am wondering if any of you guys can take a look and give some advice or even take the challenge (and it is a challenge) of trying to successfully key it yourself and see if you can get good results and share your technique
I have uploaded a 7 sec clip if you wanna take a peek.

Thanks a bunch for any help....
Kiyan.

Being a filmaker is a struggle but not to worry its all uphill from here.....

Return to posts index

Ben Gareb
Re: Chroma Keying with badly lit screen
on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:17:53 am

I don't actually think it's that bad. Needs some color correction maybe before you bring it in to AE. Looks like it's not white balanced right, but it keyed pretty easily over here.

That's what I did. You can tweak. Came out a little yellowy, but I usually key with Keylight and Color Key. I drop both on to the layer and then select the main background color with Keylight. Then I turn keylight off.

I then select a color with Color Key and remove it with a slight feather. Then I duplicate that and select another remaining shade of green and remove that. And so on and so on. Once everything is removed I turn on Keylight and adjust (as shown) to smooth the key out.

Then, in this case I color corrected horribly. But you get the idea.

Return to posts index

Kiyan Troy
on Feb 18, 2013 at 5:55:18 am

Hi Ben, thanks for your time..
I followed your settings technique and some but still couldn't get the result I wanted, I wonder if I want too much from this key? lol probably...

I managed to colour grade more efficiently but still the key on the subjects hair was a problem, is therte a good way to use colour grading to remove some of the green spill from the hair? I have heard about this but never explored....

Appreciated,

Kiyan

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58:53 am

Kiyan

I have done some experiment using Color Range, Matte Choker and keylight.

Check the example:
5467_keyingwithkeylight.zip

Hope this may help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Kiyan Troy
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:01:23 am

Hey Vishesh, I appreciate your time on this...
I found your technique most helpful and seemed to solve some issues with keying the hair.
May I ask, what was you trying to acheive by using the colour range tool? I can't really tell by looking at your settings.... what would I be trying to acheive when using it with keylight?

Cheers,

Kiyan

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:41:19 am

Hello Kiyan

I used color range to key different shades of green in your footage. The Eye Dropper Icon with a Plus let you select different colors to key.

You can read it about here

Disable the effects in my file one by one and you will get to know how it was done.

Come back if you wont understand something else. Always glad to help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]