I've been testing the workflow for timelapse sequences captured in RAW format and have been running into some interesting problems. I'm using the following system:
Intel 985 extreme i7
Asus nvidia gtx285 gpu
win7 64 pro
Adobe CS6 production
everything is updated as of last week
The raw sequence tests were shot with a Panasonic GH3, 5 sec intervals, 1500 image sequence, RAW format, approx 14 mb per frame, color space Adobe RGB. The entire sequence is a little over 20gb.
I import the entire sequence from within AE as a raw sequence, drag it into a 1080 30p composition, do NOTHING else and add it to the render que. I tried rendering to a QT 1080p animation format, about a 2 hour render.
The result looks good for about 15 or 20 seconds and then frames start popping up with bizarre smearing artifacts--almost looks like heat mirage. I noted the time to get a rough idea where in the shooting sequence it happened, went back and reviewed the original RAW files in Bridge and they look clean and are the same size as the rest. I tried rendering it again, this time in AME to h.264 1080p 29.97, same stuff!
To answer my own question: I took a slightly different tactic and brought the RAW image sequence into LR4 where I made them into DNGs, went back to AE, imported the now DNG sequence, dropped that sequence into AME and it rendered flawlessly to h.264 1080p.
Not sure what the issue is but I realize that Adobe only started supporting this Panasonic RAW format in the most recent camera raw update. For the moment I seem to have a work-around.