Why this project take so long to render -- Project included

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe GosselinWhy this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:45:26 pm

Hi all,

First here's the link for the file

http://we.tl/XLMIksX0MG

I found this template online and boy for a less than 10 second animation it takes 1h30 to render, whether I render it in HD or SD.

Granted I don't have a top of the line computer, but I can still render HD projects out of Vegas at a brisk pace.

It is not as though this project uses Hi-def files on top of hi-def files, there is only two precomp file, a psd and a mov which is nothing more than 2 seconds of particles.

Can any of you open the project and see if there is anything "wrong" with it, something less than optimized perhaps or anything that would allude to the reason why this particular template takes so long to render.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Why this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:55:09 pm

I think your problem is that it's just a hideously over-nested-comp project. There are comps in comps in comps - a ridiculously huge amount of layers to achieve something that just doesn't warrant it.

Without remaking the project from scratch, I think you're just going to have to put up with long render times. It would probably take longer to remake it than to wait for the render. Make sure you do a super-low res. render to check everything works before setting off your big render.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Why this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:05:19 pm

Paul

The project is very complex. There are several effects, many Precomps and expression and nesting of compositions which is making the render slow.

You can Pre-Render certain elements specially Flares or use Proxies which will reduce the time needed to calculate them again and again.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Philippe GosselinRe: Why this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:12:13 pm

Actually it was faster to make a movie out of the RAM preview than to render the whole thing!

I found the template on a free website, I guess I wanted to have my cake and eat it too but alas :(

Thanks Paul & Vishesh

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Why this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:36:02 pm

The RAM preview may have been faster depending on your preview settings - maybe it was set on Fast Draft or Half Resolution, in which case the resulting movie would not look as glorious as the full render.

But there are so many effects and layers on that project, it will always be slow to render on even the fastest machines.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Why this project take so long to render -- Project included
by on Feb 16, 2013 at 6:57:07 am

[Paul Roper] "But there are so many effects and layers on that project, it will always be slow to render on even the fastest machines."

The primary reason this project renders slowly is the use of CC Radial Blur at 100 Quality. Replace all of these with CC Radial Fast Blur and you should see a 2-4x speed increase.

For future reference I highly recommend enabling "Show Rendering Progress in Info Panel and Flowchart" in Preferences > Display and looking at your info panel as you wait for a frame to render. This is a good way to diagnose slow effects so that you can try to find a replacement or settings that will improve render speeds.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]